Friday, September 29, 2017

Former Grizzlie Mokhtari Returns In Enemy Colours:

This is posted on the Grizzlies website:

Former Grizzlie Mokhtari returns in enemy colours

September 29, 2017

by Vickie

Recent News

MARIO ANNICCHIARICO / TIMES COLONIST

SEPTEMBER 28, 2017

A fan favourite is returning to The Q Centre tonight, albeit in opposition colours.

Keyvan Mokhtari — dubbed the Roadrunner by some for his speed — and his new club, the Vernon Vipers, pay the Victoria Grizzlies a visit for the first time since the now 19-year-old winger was traded to the Interior Division club in late June for future considerations.

“It’ll be a weird experience for sure. Victoria was my home for two years and now I’ll be getting dressed on the other side of the building,” said Mokhtari, who knew a trade was likely coming in the off-season.

“I wasn’t surprised. I was intent on going to the USHL [Lincoln] at that point, so I figured that my rights would get sent somewhere else so that they would get something in return.

“Victoria was great for me for two years and I felt it was time for me to take a new step in my career and Vernon is where I landed. Talking it over with my parents and adviser, it made more sense to stay,” he added of remaining in the B.C. Hockey League instead of moving south.

“It’s been good. I’m enjoying myself,” said Mokhtari, who has a goal and three assists in six games. His goal came short-handed, which he became synonymous with in his time in Victoria. “I’m adjusted now. The first two weeks were different, but so far it’s been pretty smooth.”

He has remained in contact with his former teammates in Victoria, including Drayson Pears, Lucas Clark, Dayne Finnson and Jamie Rome.

“I lived with Pears for two years so we’ll always be friends,” said Mokhtari, who has kept an eye on how his former club is doing. The Grizzlies are 4-2-0-0 while the Vipers are 4-1-0-1. “I saw they did well at the Showcase this weekend so we’re looking forward to a good game when we get there.”

Asked how he expects to be received by fans on his return, he stated: “Hopefully, they’re welcoming and there’s no booing.

“You never know, they always want the home team to win,” Mokhtari said with a chuckle. “But, honestly, I don’t know what to expect.”

Mokhtari had 19 goals and 17 assists in 47 games last season for Victoria and added three tallies and four assists in the playoffs. One post-season goal was the double-overtime effort that helped the Grizzlies come back on the Powell River Kings in Game 7 of the second round. He notched that game-winner at 57 seconds of double OT to clinch the series as the Grizzlies battled back from a 3-2 games deficit in the best-of-seven.

In his rookie season in Victoria he collected 11 goals and 19 helpers as a 17-year-old.

Mokhtari, who has committed to play at Colorado College next season, is currently playing on a line with Niko Karamanis and Jordan Sandhu.

No comments: