Tuesday, January 23, 2018

BCHL Loses Legend With Passing Of Duncan Wray:

This was in the Chilliwack Progress Newspaper:

BCHL loses legend with passing of Duncan Wray

The Vernon Viper owner presided over one of junior A’s most prestigious and successful teams.

Eric Welsh

Jan. 18, 2018

Jacob Bestebroer writes a weekly column during hockey season discussing the Chilliwack Chiefs, the BCHL and goings-on around the junior A world.

I was saddened to learn of the passing of long time Vernon Vipers owner Duncan Wray last week.

I first met Duncan at the first ever Royal Bank Cup Championship in Melfort, Saskatchewan in 1996.

Prior to that year it had been called the Centennial Cup and he was there cheering on his Vipers. At first I was just there, but after meeting Duncan I started cheering on the Vipers.

After Vernon stunned the home town fans and defeated the Melfort Mustangs 2-0 in the final, I sought out Duncan to congratulate him. He thanked me and urged me to keep in touch.

Three years later, Chilliwack and Vernon began a five year stretch during which they met in the league finals four times.

Each team won twice.

We kept in touch through those years, even having lunch when we both had the time.

After that, I didn’t see him often but when I did we still made a point of chatting and catching up.

My story is similar to that of many people in and around the BCHL. He will be missed.

The Vipers played a video tribute at their home game over the weekend and I urge you to look for it on their site and on their Youtube page. In it Duncan talks about his philosophies on owning a junior hockey team. They are powerful words.

No comments: