Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Former Vernon Viper Biking Across Canada For Mental Health Awareness:

This was posted on the Vernon Morning Star website:

Former Vernon Viper biking across Canada for mental health awareness

“I figured I’d turn the ride into something meaningful” 

Brieanna Charlebois

Jun. 6, 2019 

Ryan Phillips, a former Vernon Vipers player, describes his decision to bike around the world in pursuit of mental health awareness, as serendipitous.

In the past, he’s also used two wheels to help raise money for a foundation that wants to rid the world of human trafficking and sex slavery.

He was in South East Asia when he met an Italian cyclist who inspired him to buy a bike and start, what he hopes, will turn into a world tour. Recently finishing his first leg of the trip in Asia where he completed Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos, he decided to come home and ride across Canada.

“I sort of started on a whim and soon, we were crossing four different countries in a month and doing, you know, close to 5,000 kilometers and next thing I know, people are reaching out, so I figured I’d turn the ride into something meaningful,” he said.

He speaks from experience having suffered from bipolar disorder. His daughter also suffers from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Phillips said his daughter is a huge source of inspiration for the bike trip.

“I’ve suffered, and I’ve seen it not just in my family, but with many people in my life. It’s clear just how mental health is affecting their lives, so I decided that I’d like to give back. This made sense.”

Now he said he’s backed by CMHA and having returned to Canada, Phillips began his ride at Mile Zero — the Terry Fox memorial — in Victoria on June 1. He rode riding through Vernon Thursday and then to Salmon Arm.

Under the title, Spin the Globe, he said he hopes to raise $100,000 for the Canadian Mental Health Association, getting his daughter the help she needs and supporting others who are experiencing similar situations.

3 comments:

PaulyWog54 said...

Ryan played for the Lakers in 1994-95, Vipers in 1995-96

vipersdiehardfan said...

I had just come on here to say the same thing, Haha Thanks for beating me to the punch. Thanks for the comment and viewing the blog Paul! I'm looking forward to the up coming season!

vipersdiehardfan said...

What a great story! Keep it up Ryan! Were all cheering for you and what your doing!