Saturday, November 19, 2011

Vipers Lose Again In Third Period:

This is posted on the Vipers website:

Vipers lose again in third period

by Don Klepp | Added 2011-11-19

Two goals early in the third period gave the Surrey Eagles a 3-2 win over the visiting Vernon Vipers on Friday night.

As in the previous night in Chilliwack, the Vipers outplayed their opposition for long stretches but were lax defensively at the beginning of a period and again it cost them a game they might have won. They out shot the Eagles 35-22, just like the previous evening, but again were bested by a hot goaltender.

Andrew Hunt earned first star honours for his performance. He was especially outstanding in the third period when the Vipers out shot the home team, 17-6. His best saves came in the last 30 seconds when he robbed Max Mowat, Adam Tambellini, and Mike Zalewski.

Kirby Halcrow had his shining moments in the game as well, with two fine saves during the game’s opening 37 seconds. Also, he robbed Michael Stenerson twice in the second period and stopped Tyler Morley’s short handed breakaway attempt in the second period.

After a scoreless first period, the teams exchanged power play goals in the second 20 minutes.

Playing in front of family and friends from nearby Coquitlam, Marcus Basara scored his second power play marker and sixth of the season at 8:55.

Charles Orzetti equalized at 13:22, just two seconds before Alex Hagen’s tripping penalty was about to expire. Colton Mackie was originally credited with the goal.

Then things got rough. Matt Cronin went after Darren Nowick at 16:45 behind the Surrey net. Both received fighting majors and Nowick got an extra two minutes for roughing. Cronin, who clearly started the scrap, did not get an instigator penalty.

Marcus Basara received a five minute penalty and a game misconduct for crunching Brendan Tanev into the boards at 19:43. Beau Orser immediately jumped Basara and received 17 minutes in penalties.

The third period was a lot tamer, except on the scoreboard. With Orser still in the sin bin, Tyler Morley intercepted a Brett Corkey pass and went unhindered into the Viper zone where the diminutive younger Morley beat Kirby Halcrow with a backhand move in the crease 18 seconds into the period.

Robert Lindores scored the eventual winner at 2:56 when his pass from the side bounced in off a Viper defender.

From that point on, the Vipers controlled most of the play, but were able to score just once. Darren Nowick converted Mike Zalewski’s centering feed at 18:51.

No comments: