Saturday, September 12, 2026

Game Recap - Preseason - Vernon Vipers 6 Trail Smoke Eaters 0

I was born and raised in Vernon, BC and been watching/following junior hockey in Vernon my entire life. I started and created this blog in November 2008 and have over 10 million viewers. I have had season tickets since 1990 and missed 46 home games since. My family watched senior men's hockey in Vernon in the 1950's and has been watching/following junior hockey in Vernon since Vernon got a team in 1961. I have two family members that played junior hockey in Vernon. I have programs and ticket stubs from every game since 1988. I worked with the Vipers as colour commentator for a few home games during the 2002-03 season and in 2011 I helped create/design the Vipers website that I was in charge of for five seasons.

I was at tonight's Vernon Vipers-Trail Smoke Eaters game as the Vipers won 6-0 in front of a very small crowd at Kal Tire Place. (No attendance was announced)

Starting Goaltenders:

Vernon Vipers: Sammy DiBlasi
Trail Smoke Eaters: Kason Kobelka

1st Period: Both teams were pretty evenly matched as it was pretty even for most of the period. I thought the Vipers had a slight edge in play and had a few more scoring chances. Vernon generated several quality opportunities, were skating hard, moving the puck well, played well. The Snakes come close to opening the scoring after a shot off the post. The visiting Smoke Eaters also played well, had some looks/chances. Both goaltenders were forced to make a couple of big stops. It was 0-0 after 20 minutes of play. Shots were 11-11.

To continue reading, please click the "read more" below,


2nd Period: The hometown Vipers jumped on the the Smokies early with a quick start to the middle frame. Vernon would jump out to an early 3-0 lead less then five minutes into the period. It was all Snakes as they outskated, outworked and outplayed the Smoke Eaters. The Vipers created/generated a ton of opportunities. Vernon's speed and skill was giving Trail's defenders all kinds of trouble. Both teams switched goaltenders at the midway point of the 2nd period. Jack Carter replaced Vipers starting goaltender Sammy DiBlasi, who stopped all thirteen Trail shots, while Chayse Johnson replaced Smoke Eaters starting goaltender Kason Kobelka who allowed three goals on twenty two Vernon shots. Trail spent most of the period in their own end, struggled offensively, didn't have the puck on their sticks for too long and very little time in the offensive zone. The Smokies let in a couple of soft goals and their defence left their goaltenders hung out to dry. It was 4-0 Vernon after 40 minutes of play. Shots were 17-4 Vernon.

3rd Period: The Smoke Eaters had the early jump and carried the play early, getting an early PP. Trail had the better of the play for most of the first half. The Smokies finally had the puck on their stick, had more puck possession, more zone time and were finally able to create and generate some offence. Trail come close to getting on the scoreboard, hit the post twice. The Snakes re-grouped and picked up their play in the second half as both teams were pretty even at times but other times the Vipers were the better team. Both teams had some very good looks/opportunities. Both goaltenders played well in the 3rd. The Vipers would pick up their first win of the preseason with a 6-0 victory. Shots were 6-5 Vernon.

Vernon Vipers Top Players:

Evan Schulha I thought looked good and played very well on the backend. Schulhad missed the net on a 3rd period breakaway

Martin Cerny (1 assist) Caught my attention tonight, thought he didn't look too bad

Will Johnson Isn't the biggest kid but is crafty, is quick on his feet, has some wheels and can generate open ice. Was buzzing in and out of the offensive zone

Mykolas Skadauskas (2 goals) This kid impressed me at training camp and played very well in the preseason. Thought he looked good and played very well in the win tonight

Mason Kim (1 goal & 1 assist) Kim is by far the Vipers quickest and most skilled forward. Has impressed me from day one at training camp and stood out in the preseason. Has a ton of speed, not the biggest kid but lots of jump/energy and plays big. Gave Trail defenders trouble tonight

Josh Denes (2 assists) Another kid who impressed me at training camp but also during the exhibition games, played very well and looked good tonight

Game Thought's: Vernon Vipers

- Tonight was the Vipers fourth and final exhibition game

- The Vipers & Smoke Eaters will play each other seven times during the regular season

- I know it's early and only exhibition but you can see the Vipers have done a good job at recruiting this season from what I have seen at training camp/preseason games

- The Snakes have six players returning from the 2025-26 season

- This is a different Vipers team I saw play this weekend then the team I watched Monday & Tuesday in West Kelowna & Salmon Arm. Two different teams by far. I really liked the Vipers effort/performance this weekend in both games. If this is the hockey were going to watch this season, it looks like a very promising season. Vernon has way more skill already compared to what they had the past few seasons. I really like what I saw from the Snakes in both games this weekend

- Vipers played very well in the 1st period, a period that was pretty evenly matched but I thought Vernon had a slight edge in play. The Vipers could have had at least a goal or two that period but Trail's goaltender made a couple of solid saves

- Another small crowd tonight. The Vipers or league didn't announce the attendance but I would guess 350-400 people

- Vernon went 1-3 with the man advantage

- The Vipers next game is September 18th in Salmon Arm

- Both Vipers goaltenders played well, splitting the shutout but I didn't think either one really stood out overall. Both were forced to make a couple of big saves but also looked a little shaky on a couple of saves or scrambles in front of the goal

- The Vipers were wearing their black/yellow third jerseys from last season, and have been wearing them all preseason

- I really liked the Snakes 2nd period. The hometown Vipers jumped on Trail early and often, scoring three goals in less then five minutes. The Vipers were by far the better team in the middle frame, were all over the Smokies. Vernon outworked, outskated and outplayed Trail the entire frame. The Vipers had more puck possession, more zone time and created/generated a ton of opportunities

- The Vipers play three of their first four regular season games on the road

- The Vipers went 1-5-1-0 vs Trail last season

- The Snakes scored a couple of real pretty goals

- I have really been impressed with Vernon's passing and transition game so far

- The Snakes PK was very good 

- Leading 4-0 heading into the 3rd I think the Vipers took their foot off the gas after jumping out to an early 5-0 lead as Trail carried the better of the play and was the better team in the first half. The Snakes seemed to pick up the pace/play in the second half as both teams were pretty even at times but then the Vipers took over the edge in play at other times. Vernon had at least two or three breakaways

- Very disappointed in the attendance this weekend. I know it's only preseason but come on Vipers fans you can do better

- Heading into tonight's game, the Vipers had 27 players still listed on their preseason roster

- Give credit to Vernon for playing disciplined hockey this weekend and not taking a bunch of nonsense penalties

- With the win, Vernon finishes the preseason with a 1-3-0-0 record

Trail Smoke Eaters Top Performers:

















Game Thought's: Trail Smoke Eaters

- Tonight was the Smoke Eaters third and final exhibition game

- Trail has nine players returning from the 2025-26 season

- I thought the Smokies held their own in the 1st period, were pretty even with the Vipers for most of the period. The Snakes had a slight edge in play but overall this was an entertaining period with both teams getting lots of pucks to the net and generate/creating lots of opportunities. Both goaltenders made a couple of big stops, both played well.

- The Smoke Eaters went 0-3 with the power play

- Trails next game is September 18th at home vs Langley

- The Smoke Eaters hit a goal post in the 2nd period and two more in the 3rd period

- After playing so good in the 1st, what happened to Trail in the 2nd period? The wheels fell off as Vernon jumped out to an early 3-0 lead less then five minutes into the frame. The Smokies couldn't get much of anything going as they were outplayed for most of the 2nd period. Trail struggled offensively with just four shots, played most of the period in their own end. The Smoke Eaters had trouble defending against the Vipers speed/skill

- The Smoke Eaters didn't get any bounces or puck luck tonight

- Trail plays three of their first four regular season games at home

- Nobody on Trail stood out tonight

- I spotted a couple of Trail fans in attendance

- Down 4-0 heading into the 3rd the Smokies didn't quit, were the better team for most of the first half, generated several quality chances, hit two goal posts, just didn't get any bounces or puck luck go there way. After a very shaky 2nd period, the Smokies played a little better in the 3rd with the game out of reach

- Trail struggled with the man advantage. The Smokies recorded just two shots on goal on a four minute power play

- I thought Trail looked good and played good in the 1st but then the wheels fell off in the 2nd period and they couldn't recover. A couple of soft goals in the 2nd and their defence left their goaltenders out to dry on a couple of goals

- With the loss, Trail finishes the preseason with a 1-2-0-0 record

Scratches:

Vernon Vipers:

No scratches were announced

Trail Smoke Eaters:

No scratches were announced

Boxscore-Game Summary,


Game Report,


Text Box Score,


Vernon Junior Hockey History website,





































































No comments: