Saturday, April 9, 2011

Vipers Feel Hometown Vibe:

This was in yesterdays Morning Star Newspaper:

Vipers feel hometown vibe

By Graeme Corbett - Vernon Morning Star

Published: April 08, 2011

Winning a B.C. Hockey League Fred Page Cup is one thing. Winning one in front of friends and family is sublime.

For six Vernon Vipers – Bryce Kakoske, Colton Sparrow, Trevor Fitzgerald, Max Mowat, Zach McPhee and captain David Robinson, all from Vernon – Tuesday night at Wesbild Centre will be hard to beat.

For Robinson, whose family roots go back to the founding of the league, captaining the team to a third straight league title was a dream come true.

“I was lucky enough for Mark (head coach Ferner) to give me the ‘C’ this year and to captain a group like that is pretty special.

“We’re a tight-knit group and it’s kind of a cherry on top to captain a group to a league championship, especially in my hometown for a team I grew up watching. I’m trying to create my own memories playing for them.”

Most players would agree having a home crowd is huge, but Robinson says when that crowd contains friends and family members, it drives him to play that much harder.

“Both nights (Games 3 and 4) here we had great crowds and I’m sure they’re excited. It’s so much easier playing with a crowd like that, especially for me. I was probably playing in front of 40 or 50 friends and family tonight, so it’s special for me.”

Added Fitzgerald: “Unbelievable feeling lifting Freddie there. Skating around and looking up I see tons of people I know from school. My best friends are up there and it’s awesome having them here cheering for you.”

McPhee has been in and out of the Viper lineup throughout the season, but he was effective playing on an energy line with Fitzgerald and Aaron Hadley in the Fred Page final. Using his 6-foot-3, 190-pound frame, he dished out some punishing hits and created havoc in Powell River’s zone.

“You have to pay your dues. Obviously, we have a great team this year and every time I got out there I tried to take every opportunity that I could,” said the 18-year-old McPhee.

“We just chipped away and tried to get pucks deep and play a hard-nosed game. It was a great effort by everybody.

“It’s a great feeling. Growing up we idolized this team and wanted to be like them. It’s the best thing that has happened to me hockey-wise.”

No comments: