Tuesday, September 10, 2019

BCHL News & Trades:

I found these press releases off team websites, twitter accounts, blogs or online. All Vipers news-trades are posted on this blog as soon as released-announced.

BCHL News & Trades:

2019-20 Penticton Vees Spotlight: Cade Webber

Hearing his name called in Vancouver at the 2019 NHL Entry Draft put an exclamation point on a long but prosperous season for Cade Webber. He comes to the Vees as one of the newest prospects of the Carolina Hurricanes, who selected the hulking defender 99th overall in the 4th round of the Draft. “You can’t wait to get to the draft and I’m thankful for having the opportunity to be selected,” Webber said, “It was a long year but you just have to play your game throughout the season and stay humble. You can’t worry about what people or scouts are saying and just stick to playing your game but it’s an opportunity of a lifetime and hearing your name called is surreal and something I’ll never forget.” To make last season even more special for the 18-year-old was a trip to Edmonton, Alberta to represent the United States in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, “It was an honour to get chosen to compete for the US at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup,” Webber explained, “It’s a good eye opener to see the amount of talent that plays for your country and around the world. Hockey is so huge in Canada at every level, there was 10,000 people at the semi-final game so it was a bit nerve wracking but I’m someone who likes to play under pressure. Coming to Penticton and knowing the fan base there, I think I’m going to thrive playing in front of the fans.” The 6’6″, 195-pound defenseman played the last three seasons at the Rivers School, a prep squad located in Weston, Massachusetts and has a history of advancing players to higher levels including the National Hockey League, “I’ve had a really good couple of seasons at Rivers,” mentioned Webber, “Head Coach (Shawn) McEachern played in the NHL and I learnt a lot from him over the three years I played there.” “I thought we had a good year this past season,” continued Webber, “We had a young group so I took on a bit of a leadership role and I thought the team came together at the end of the year. We played our best hockey in the playoffs but fell just short; it was an awesome experience and I’m very happy I chose to go to Rivers.” When it came to finding a spot to play for the upcoming 2019/20 season, Webber heard from a Vees alumni that steered him in the direction of Penticton, “I always had my eyes on the USHL but I’ve heard from a few guys, in particular Miles Gendron,” Webber said, “He also went to Rivers and he brought the possibility up and I looked into it and started to dial in on Penticton and the BCHL.” “I came in over spring break and was amazed with how the coaching staff and management handled themselves,” Webber continued, “The facilities are second to none and I thought it would be a great spot to develop and get me to that next level. Coach Harbinson loves to win and that’s my mentality as well, I haven’t won a championship in my career yet so I’m hoping I can help Penticton do just that.” With the hockey season just around the corner, there’s some anxious but exciting moment ahead for Webber, “There’s obviously some nerves with moving away from home for the first time but I’m very excited,” explained the incoming Vees defender, “I can’t wait to get out there and meet my new teammates and get comfortable with the situation and get the season rolling. I’m looking forward to putting on a Vees jersey and getting started on what will hopefully be a special year.” The Worcester, Pennsylvania native has also secured his collegiate hockey career, committing to Boston University as a 16-year-old, “When I came to Rivers, I visited a few of the Boston schools but it always came back to BU,” said Webber, “(Coach) Dan Quinn, who was there at the time, sat me down and had a good talk with me about what he saw in me and where I could end up as a player and we connected really well.” “The facilities there and being in Boston is something really special,” Webber continued, “The players who have gone through there, I think it will be a great spot for the next step in my hockey career after being in Penticton.” The Pennsylvania kid has seen his summer plans shift to a new state, “I’ve spent most of the summer in Massachusetts,” stated Webber, “It’s where I work out and I stay at my grandparents house, which makes things easy. We work out four times a week and get on the ice about three times a week but outside of the gym, I like to hang out with friends and, being right outside of Boston, catch a few Red Sox games.” As for someone who Webber likes to model his game around from an NHL level, a two-time Stanley Cup Champion comes to mind, “Playing for the Penguins, I’ve got to watch Brian Dumolin play a lot and like a lot about his game. I’m a big guy so I’m a two-way defenseman and I play a defensive style, being reliable in my own zone. Logging a lot of minutes and playing against team’s top lines is something I like to do while I rely on my skating a lot, it’s one of my biggest assets.”

Powell River-Swan Valley Trade:

The Powell River Kings have made a trade ahead of the 2019-2020 season, sending defenceman Brenden Saether to the Swan Valley Stampeders of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League in exchange for future considerations. In his first full season in the BCHL, Saether dressed in 43 games for the Kings registering three assists. Off the ice, Saether was a great presence in the community appearing at numerous events with the team showing great dedication to the Kings organization and the city of Powell River. The Kings would like to thank Brenden for his contributions on and off the ice, and wish him all the best in Swan Valley!

Rayhill Commits To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are pleased to announce a commitment from 2001-born defenceman Jimmy Rayhill to join the team for the 2019/20 British Columbia Hockey League season. Rayhill will suit up in the BCHL after spending the last three years with The Gunnery Prep School in Connecticut. He served as the team’s captain during the 2018/19 campaign while scoring 8 goals and totaling 28 points in 31 games. “We’re very excited to add Jimmy to our team,” says Bulldogs head coach Joe Martin. “He’s a puck moving defenceman who reads the ice well, and his skill set and character build on our team strengths of skating and work ethic. We’re thrilled that he’s decided to take the next steps in his hockey career in a Bulldogs uniform.” Rayhill is committed to play NCAA Division I hockey at Cornell University. “I was very impressed by the Bulldogs coaches and organization and I feel like they understood me and my strengths as an hockey player,” says Rayhill, who describes himself as a mobile defenseman who likes to join the rush and create offense. “I thought the BCHL would be the best place for me to develop on and off the ice. I hope to help the team have success this season and leave Alberni ready to contribute and an impactful player for my college team.” Rayhill will join his new teammates when the Bulldogs’ 2019 Main Camp opens at the Alberni Valley Multiplex on Monday, August 19.

Silverbacks Coaching Staff Returns For 2019-20 Season:

The Salmon Arm Silverbacks are thrilled to announce their full coaching staff will return for the 2019-20 BCHL season. Head coach and general manager Scott Atkinson enters his third season as the man in charge behind the bench. From his first year to his second, the Silverbacks’ record improved from 25-29-3-1 to 27-26-4-1. The team’s goals against in the regular season dropped by 28 from 2017-18 to 2018-19. “Having a staff that has been together makes things more coordinated and allows things to go a lot smoother. Everyone kind of knows what the lay of the land is,” Atkinson said. “Our ownership group has really provided a foundation for us to be successful and now it’s up to us to take that next step and execute the plan.” Assistant coach Tanner Cochrane returns for his second full season, after being hired in July of 2018. The 26-year-old Kamloops native played three seasons in the BCHL with the Chilliwack Chiefs and Powell River Kings, and then coached the BCMML Thompson Blazers for two seasons before joining the Backs’. “The players love him, so I think that’s a key piece, especially at the assistant coach level,” Atkinson said of Cochrane. “He needs to be a conduit to the players, so he’s very good at communicating and interacting with the players. And he has a good hockey mind; a real good knack for identifying talent.” Salmon Arm’s own Tyler Shattock also returns as an assistant coach, after being brought on in October of 2018. A fourth-round pick of the St. Louis Blues in 2009, the 29-year-old played four full seasons in the Western Hockey League with the Kamloops Blazers and Calgary Hitmen, finishing his junior career with a WHL championship and Memorial Cup appearance. Shattock then played four seasons in the AHL and three in the ECHL, before spending one year abroad in the United Kingdom’s Elite Ice Hockey league, suiting up for the Braehead Clan in Glasgow, Scotland. “[Shattock] communicates extremely well, in a different way [than Cochrane]. They’re not the same at all, but yet the task gets done very effectively,” Atkinson said. “I know the players have a ton of respect for his playing background and just generally the way he carries himself…He doesn’t slice and dice things. He tells you the truth point blank and I think the players appreciate that.” Atkinson noted the large roster turnover has him excited for the season. “We’ve brought in a lot of players, so I think that’s the exciting part — there’s going to be a lot of fresh faces,” he said. “A lot of really fast guys and a lot of big guys that can play. Our roster is going to improve quite a bit.”

Warriors Name Harrison Captain:

The West Kelowna Warriors Junior ‘A’ Hockey Club are pleased to announce their leadership group for the 2019/20 season. Veteran Jake Harrison has been named team captain, joining alongside him are forwards Parm Dhailwal and Lucas Cullen who will serve as alternate captains for the Warriors this season. “We are very excited to announce these young men as our leadership group for the upcoming season,” stated Warriors Head Coach and General Manager Brandon West. “All three exemplify what it means to be a Warrior and a leader.” Harrison, 20, is entering his fourth season with the Warriors after spending last year with the Fargo Force(USHL). Harrison is the only remaining member of the Warriors 2016 RBC Cup winning team. Head Coach and General Manager Brandon West is confident the “C” on his jersey is well deserved and a long time coming. “Jake has been a major contributor to the team on and off the ice here in West Kelowna since the 2015 season and were very honored to have him lead his hometown team”. The West Kelowna native is close to joining the 200 game club with 190 BCHL games played, compiling 94 points over that span, along with 193 penalty minutes.  “It’s an amazing feeling,” stated Harrison,  “I’ve learned a lot from the Captain’s I’ve played with and I’m ready to take what I’ve learned to help lead our team this season. ” Dhaliwal, 20, enters his fourth season with the Warriors with 163 games played scoring 44 goals totaling 136 points. The Surrey, British Columbia native had a career year in 2018-19, averaging over a point a game with 61 points scored in 57 games played. Cullen, 20, also enters his third season after scoring 40 goals and totaling 78 points in 95 games for the Warriors the past two seasons. Lucas Cullen was a superstar during the Warriors playoff run last March scoring 7 goals in 7 games versus the Wenatchee Wild. "Parm and Lucas are great teammates who lead by their actions. Both have been here for a few years now and have always been guys who put the team first,” said Brandon West. “I’m confident that all three plus another assistant that we will name in the future, will guide our team with class and integrity.”

Spruce Kings Name Leung New Associate Coach & Drazenovic New Skills & Development Coach:

The Prince George Spruce Kings are excited to announce the additions of Jessie Leung as our new associate coach and Nick Drazenovic as our new skills and development Coach. Jessie Leung is 34 years old and spent the last two seasons as the Associate Coach with the Trail Smoke Eaters. Prior to that, he spent six seasons with the Valley West Hawks of the British Columbia Major Midget League where he was  three seasons as an assistant coach and three seasons as the team’s head coach. “I am excited to add Jessie to our staff. I know he will compliment Alex very well. Our discussions with Jessie over the past couple of weeks have been very good. His knowledge of the game is exceptional and I am confident that he understands what our expectations are as an organization. Our organization has taken a lot of strides forward in recent years and adding a good coach like Jessie will help us continue down that path” says Spruce Kings general manager Mike Hawes. “I’m excited to be joining a first class organization in the Prince George Spruce Kings. As someone who watched the program from a far last season, I was impressed with the structure, execution and accountability demonstrated throughout the team. Thank you to Mike Hawes, Alex Evin, and the board for giving me this opportunity and making me apart of the Spruce Kings family” says Spruce Kings new associate coach Jessie Leung. 32 year old Nick Drazenovic grew up in Prince George, playing his minor hockey here and then playing for his hometown Prince George Cougars for five seasons. After junior hockey, Nick played nine seasons of pro hockey in the National Hockey League and the American Hockey League. Currently, he is the owner operator of the prestigious Northern Elite Hockey where he uses his knowledge of the game to help develop young players. “I’ve known Nick for a lot of years and am very proud and excited to add him to our coaching staff. He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our group. The finer points of the game that he will be able to teach our players is going to be incredibly valuable. Individual player skill development is a very crucial component of the game and having a coach like Nick on board to assist our players with this aspect is a huge benefit for the program” says Spruce Kings general manager Mike Hawes. “I am excited to join the Spruce Kings and I am excited to help grow hockey development in the city that has given me so much” says Spruce Kings new skills and development coach Nick Drazenovic.

Schlaht Commits To Surrey:

The Surrey Eagles organization is pleased to announce the commitment of 2000-born forward Wyatt Schlaht for the upcoming 2019-20 season. Schlaht spent last season with the Lincoln Stars of the United States Hockey League and comes to the Eagles with a scholarship to Brown University, slated to commence in 2020-21. Schlaht was born in Denver, Colorado, but spent time on the east coast including three seasons playing for St. Sebastian’s Prep in Massachusetts. He recorded 2 goals and 3 assists in 51 games with the Stars last season in his first year in the USHL. “I’m really excited to be a big piece of the team going forward,” Schlaht told SurreyEagles.ca in an interview. “I can’t wait to finally have the opportunity to take on a big role. I want to take a big step forward in my development and become an offensive player for this team.” Seen as a power forward that can potentially play top-line minutes by head coach Cam Keith, Schlaht is eager to display his skills to the fans at South Surrey Arena and take on an important offensive role for the team moving forward. “I’m a forward that can skate and has a good shot,” Schlaht said, explaining his playing style. “It will be fun to put those skills to use here in Surrey. I think the USHL is a bit more defensive and the BCHL is a bit more offensive, so I’m excited to take on that offensive role and make a big step forward.” The addition of Schlaht to the Eagles roster brings up the number of committed players to six – joining fellow forward Cristophe Tellier (Quinnipiac), and defencemen Cody Schiavon (Yale), Owen Nolan (Army), Cade Alami (Providence) and Brett Bliss (Brown). The decision to come play for Surrey was an easy one for Schlaht. He already mentioned his bigger role with club as a main reason, but he also cited the city, facilities, and overall relationship with Keith as other factors in deciding to come out west. “Cam was really personable from the beginning and was honest the whole time. He told me exactly what he saw from me as a player coming here. He talked to me a lot about the city and the rink and his direction for the team. It’s been a long process but I’m really excited to make it official.” Welcome to the team, Wyatt!

2019-20 Penticton Vees Spotlight: Carson Kosobud

Hockey has taken Carson Kosobud to many places in his life, whether it be living in Arizona for 10 years or moving back to a hockey rich state in Minnesota for his high school career. The Moorhead, Minnesota native played three seasons for his hometown school at Moorhead High, playing in the US High School League, which Minnesotans are very proud of. “It was pretty cool to get to play for Moorhead,” Kosobud mentioned, “We had the whole town behind us and it was a similar atmosphere to the one in Penticton. We had a lot of fans coming to the games and it was good to play with all of my buddies and go to school with them at the same time.” “After living in Arizona for 10 years and moving back up here in Grade 8,” Kosobud continued, “I’ve noticed in Minnesota, and especially in Moorhead, the people here take a lot of pride in their hockey. It’s like nowhere else in the country how they do it here and I wasn’t accustomed to having 20,000 people watching me play at the Xcel Energy Center so it was pretty crazy and one of the best hockey experiences of my life.” Moving on from his high school hockey, Kosobud played with the Brookings Blizzard of the North American Hockey League (NAHL) for the 2017/18 season, playing in 34 games and amassing 61 penalty minutes. The transition from playing in high school compared to junior was a big adjustment for the 6’0″, 190-pound defenseman to make. “There was definitely a learning curve and I couldn’t play the same game in junior as I did in high school,” Kosobud said, “I think I adjusted reasonably well, there are always things you can improve upon but it was interesting to play with older guys and I enjoyed it and now I’m one of the older guys so I’m using that knowledge of what I felt like when I was a younger player and try and help guys coming into their first seasons.” Kosobud began last season in Central Illinois with the Flying Aces in the United States Hockey League before finding his way to the South Okanagan and Penticton, “I got lucky after being in Central Illinois to come to Penticton and play,” Kosobud recalled, “I think it’s the best spot in all of Canada to be at. I love the town, the fans and the atmosphere is something that I’ve never been apart of before so it’s a great place to be and I think it’s the perfect spot for me.” Being in Canada to play for the first time and moving from the USHL to the BCHL can be a big transition for players but Kosobud was alerted that he was heading to a good place to play, “There was a bit of nervousness coming into Penticton last season,” said Kosobud, “I actually played with Ethan Martini in Central Illinois and he told me about BC and how beautiful the province was and how the league was. I’ve heard it from plenty of people that Penticton is the spot to be at so I was pretty excited when I found out I was going and I felt pretty privileged.” The Moorhead, Minnesota native got into 31 games with the Vees a season ago, posting two goals and ten assists for twelve points and is looking forward to another season in the Peach City, “I miss getting to see my buddies every day and I can’t wait to see them again,” Kosobud said, “I miss the town and the fans, walking into places and being recognized and everyone knows who you are is pretty special.” “Going to schools and seeing the kids faces light up as we walk in and playing floor hockey at the schools and handing out jerseys and books is really cool as well,” Kosobud continued, “It was really good being a strong influence on those kids and it was like being a big brother in a way.” Securing a spot to play in the collegiate rankings was an easy decision for Kosobud as the defender will head to Arizona State after his final season of junior hockey, “I feel lucky and privileged to be committed there,” Kosobud explained, “I want to be a part of making a tradition along with teams like the University of North Dakota and University of Minnesota. I love the coaches at ASU and, living there for 10 years, it’s kind of like my second home so it was an easy choice for me and it’s kind of been where I’ve wanted to go every since they move to Division I.” Gearing up for his final season of junior hockey, Kosobud has been hitting the gym and working on getting into the best shape he can be for playing, “I had a lot of areas I needed to improve and I think I’ve done a very good job on that and building a lot of muscle in the gym,” Kosobud said, “I also like to hunt and fish a lot and usually end up at the lake every weekend; a lot of outdoorsy kind of stuff and it’s been a great offseason.”

No comments: