Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Stingrays Call For Former Vernon Viper Coburn:


This was posted on sky sports website:

Stingrays call for Coburn

Canadian forward signs on at Hull

Last updated: 15th July 2010

Hull Stingrays are pleased to announce the signing of Canadian forward Andrew Coburn for the 2010-2011 Elite League campaign.

The 24-year-old Ontario native will be playing his first year as a professional and is Stingrays' fourth new import signing following the arrivals of Josh Mizerek, Chris Korchinski and Christian Boucher.

Coburn spent two seasons in the British Columbia Hockey League with Vernon Vipers (2005-07), leading the team's scoring in his second year with 77 points in 60 games, and has played for The University of Alabama in Huntsville in the National Collegiate Athletic Association for the past three years.

He said: "I am very excited about signing with the Hull Stingrays. It is almost surreal that it has all come together and how close it is to the drop of the first puck in Cardiff.

"I am really looking forward to my first year as a pro. Four years of juggling school and hockey has been demanding, now I can devote all of my attention to helping the team win and better myself as a player.

Quality
"I can't wait to be surrounded by pro's who have an immense amount of experience and knowledge that I can soak in.

"Although the league has lots of great players, I feel as though I can help Hull put up more wins and being surrounded by quality players I feel as though I can make an impact."

When asked what fans can expect from him, Coburn added: "I am a strong two-way player who can play in all situations. I prefer to utilize my line-mates as much as I can to try and set them up with scoring chances.

"Despite being a smaller player, the success I have had has come through working hard in the corners and using body position to get an advantage."

Coburn also believes Stingrays can prove a tough nut to crack this season.

He said: "The competition will inevitably be stiff this year. However, reading and hearing about the recruits Clouts (player-coach Sylvain Cloutier) has got I feel as though we are more than capable of being very competitive and hopefully bring a good winning record to Hull."

No comments: