Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Former Viper Mick Seeks Best Route To Pro Ranks:

This is in todays Alberni Valley Times Newspaper:

Mick seeks best route to pro ranks

Shayne Morrow, Alberni Valley Times

Published: Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It hasn't been the straightest route for Alberni Valley Bulldog forward Sawyer Mick, but he's determined to fit in a university education and a pro hockey career, one way or another.

Mick grew up in Vernon, where he played in the local minor hockey system through Bantam. During that final season in Vernon, he played on a line with future Bulldog teammate Trent Dorais, but then their paths diverged.

"I went to Kelowna to play for their Major Midget team when I was 15, while Trent stayed home and played AAA Midget," Mick said. "When I was 15, I went to the Vancouver Giants (Western Hockey League) camp, and got on their 50-man protected list."

Mick was subsequently picked up by the WHL Portland Winter Hawks and played 42 games in major junior when he was 17. That cut off his eligibility for an NCAA scholarship, but he doesn't regret the experience.

"Obviously, it was a step up, and I got better playing against the Evander Kanes and the Jamie Bennns," Mick said. "I played for the [B.C. Hockey League] Vernon Vipers last year. That means I lost the NCAA route, so I'm focusing on the CIS [Canadian Interuniversity Sport]."

Mick said that while the level of play at CIS schools is comparable to the NCAA, the scholarships aren't as comprehensive.

"In the short term, I plan to go to college, and if a pro career becomes an option, it's a good thing to go for," he said.

No comments: