Thursday, May 21, 2009

Prospect To Bypass Pats:

Here's a good article on Viper newcomer, Drew George who recently just commited to playing for the Vernon Vipers next season.

This was in the Regina Post Newspaper:

Prospect to bypass Pats

By Greg Harder, Leader-Post
April 27, 2009

REGINA -- Drew George believes in happy endings.The Regina native helped author one Sunday when the Notre Dame Hounds captured the Telus Cup with a 4-0 win over the Calgary Buffaloes in Selkirk, Man. George had two goals and an assist in the game, his final outing at the midget AAA level."Finished it in style," offered the 17-year-old forward. "It's unbelievable. It hasn't really sunk in yet that we're the top team in the nation but it feels great. It's what we worked for all year."I don't think you could draw up a story any better."Now it's time to turn the page.George's WHL rights are held by the Regina Pats, who added him to their protected list last year after a strong performance as a walk-on in training camp. The Pats would like to add him to their lineup next season, but George is pursuing another route. He plans to join the BCHL's Vernon Vipers in hopes of playing his way into an NCAA scholarship — and hopefully a pro contract down the road.George said he chose the NCAA option so he would have "an education to come back on." He's apparently sold on heading south in spite of the fact that WHL teams offer a year of free education at a Canadian post-secondary institution for every season of service."(If you get an education) you have a life after hockey if things don't work out well," he said. "I had considered (joining the Pats) early on, being at home, close to the family and having everyone being able to watch. But me and my parents sat down and thought the college route was the best route for us. For sure it was tempting (to stay here). It crossed my mind quite a bit. I guess it's not completely out of the question but the way I'm leaning I think I'll be heading the college route."George clearly gave himself some options by putting up big numbers in Notre Dame this season, finishing tied for second in the league with 78 points, including 27 goals, in 43 games. He added five goals and five assists in eight playoff games, then was named the MVP of the Telus Cup prairie regional qualifying tournament after potting four goals and three helpers in four games. He added another three goals and 10 points in seven games at the national championship."I think I played pretty well all season," said George. "I had a couple slumps here and there but I think it helped me (spending one more year in midget), just proving that I can be a points guy and get the job done."In the end, George's success benefited the team — and vice versa."We started off the season really well," he added. "There was always that special feeling within the team that this could be the group of guys that could take it all the way. It's just an amazing feeling. I can't believe it's happening right now."

No comments: