Monday, December 29, 2014

Decades Of Dedication To Vernon Hockey:

I found this video-interview with former Vernon Esso's goaltender Jack Gilroy.  The video-interview was done in May at the 2014 Royal Bank Cup in Vernon.  I know it's old and many of you may have seen it, but I thought I would post it for the fans who have yet to see it.

This was on Global News website:

Decades of dedication to Vernon hockey

May 15, 2014

By and Lauren Pullen Global News

VERNON — At Vernon’s Kal Tire Place, everybody knows his name.

Jack Gilroy has been watching Vernon junior hockey from the sidelines for more than 40 years.

“I’ve been coming so long I don’t need to bring my pass I know all the staff its pretty good for me,” says Gilroy.

“Jack is at every game, always with a kind word to say. He’s a great guy to have around,” says Vernon Vipers owner, Duncan Wray.

Gilroy without a question is a diehard fan, but his story doesn’t end there.

His roots run deep with the organization as he once donned a Vernon junior hockey jersey.

Gilroy was a goalie in the late 60’s for the then Vernon Esso’s. He left the valley for a few years to pursue his hockey dreams, but he left his heart in Vernon.

“Wendy and I had been going together since she was 17 years old, we have three kids and Vernon is home,” says Gilroy.

“I married the owners daughter so I’m not a dumb goalie,” he chuckles.

Gilroy says many alumni from the organization have also settled in Vernon and many, just like him, still support the local team.

To watch video, Click on link below,

http://globalnews.ca/news/1335316/watch-decades-of-dedication-to-vernon-hockey/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you get the recognition you deserve for being a diehard fan yourself and your dedication to the Vipers and community with your continued support via your blog or in person.
Thanks for keeping us wannabe diehard fans informed!
Happy New Year my friend!

vipersdiehardfan said...

Thank you! I appreciate your comments and support of me and my blog. Thanks for supporting and visiting my blog. Without you-the people who check out this blog, there wouldnt be a blog.

I do get a little recognition every now and again and get the odd comment on here from fans or someone's parent or former player etc. Wich is great to hear.

I have always wondered where the kids go from here after playing hockey in Vernon, and as a young kid always tried to follow many of them but without the internet back in them days, it was pretty tough. As I got older and the internet come out I started to follow some of the former players and would pass the word on around the rink at the Viper games to fans in my section. Once I saw a few team blogs I got the idea and created this blog.

Other people and myself have always enjoyed following the Vipers as well as former players etc wich is why this blog is so great! Its a great way to follow Vernon Junior Hockey players from past to present.

Thank you for the continued support! Happy New years as well