Tuesday, March 26, 2013

One On One With Former Vernon Viper John Knisley:

The Cornell University website sits down one on one with former Vernon Vipers forward John Knisley.  Knisley playing in his first season at Cornell University has played in 24 games this year collecting (2-1-3).  Knisley played two years in Vernon (2010-2012) In 106 regular season games with the Vipers Knisley collected (22-48-70).

John Knisley's Player Profile:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139392

This is posted on the Cornell University website:

Freshman Friday: John Knisley

11/30/2012

Freshman Friday is a Q-and-A feature with new members of the men's hockey team. This is the fifth installment, featuring forward John Knisley. He comes to the Big Red from the Vernon Vipers, a perennial power in the British Columbia Hockey League. He discusses playing in Canada's Junior A national championship, his ties to Upstate New York, the unlikely place where he started to play hockey, and why he became a Red Sox fan.

Q: How does it feel to be close to home again, and how much did that influence your decision?

A: Being close to home is great for my parents, since I've been out in the BCHL for the last two years. I guess I'm kind of flipping the roles here. Whereas the two years I was away from home, now I'm closer to home for college. It's usually the opposite with junior hockey players. Being close to home is nice, getting see my parents every weekend. Ithaca's a beautiful city. It played a huge role in my decision.

Q: Did you make it down to Cornell games much in your time in the Rochester and Syracuse areas?

A: I usually caught one or two games a year when I could, because it was tough to get down here during the season. But whenever we had the weekend off, I'd make my way down.

Q: How about when you were a kid? How old were you when you saw your first Cornell game?

A: I remember watching on TV when Sam Paolini (also from the Rochester area) — he was on the team when they made the run (in 2003) — scored that goal in overtime against Harvard. That was the first game I saw, because I moved from South Carolina up to the Rochester area when I was eight or nine years old. It was a big cultural shock, I guess.

Q: Did you play hockey in South Carolina?

A: Yeah. It's actually a funny story. Cole Bardreau lived in Charlotte (N.C.) and I lived in Greenville, S.C., and we used to play against each other when we were down there. The hockey world's a pretty small place, I guess. It's funny that we're on the same team now.

Q: So when did you two meet up again? Was it when you were both in the Rochester area?

A: Well, I played minor hockey in Syracuse and the year after I started playing there, he was on the team that was a year younger. I was travelling back and forth between Rochester and Syracuse, and then I went back to Rochester and we played on the same travel team, and we played against each other in high school. (Knisley played for Pittsford; Bardreau played for neighboring Fairport).

Q: Was the decision to go to British Columbia for Junior A a hard one?

A: It was pretty tough at first, but I went out there with one of my good friends, Mike Zalewski who now plays for RPI, and I'd known him for eight or nine year by that point. So that really helped me adjust. Also, I had a great billet family out there who were above and beyond anything I could have asked for. I still keep in touch with them today. It made the transition a lot easier being away from home.

Q: You mention a Zalewski name that should seem familiar to Big Red fans since his older brother, Steve, was quite a player for Clarkson. How weird is it going to be to play against Mike after so many years of being his teammate?

A: It's definitely going to be different lining up against him. I've always been on his team, or even on his line. But it should be fun playing against him.

Q: Did you guys look at schools together, or was the whole process separate?

A: It was all separate. I had already committed to Cornell before he started looking at schools. I didn't try to persuade him, by any means. At the end of the day, he made the decision that was best for him.

Q: Your first year in Vernon was particularly noteworthy, winning the league title and making it to the Royal Bank championship game. How was that experience?

A: I went out there knowing the team had won the RBC the past two years and expectations were high, but it was a good learning experience. There were a lot of older veterans that helped me along the way. They taught me the right mentality when coming to the rink and taught me about preparation. There were a lot of valuable things that I learned that season. We didn't have a great year last year, but they taught me the stuff that could help me excel in college.

Q: To switch gears a little bit, how did you become a Boston Red Sox fan being born in South Carolina and growing up in Upstate New York?

A: I don't know. My dad's a Yankees fan, but a good friend of mine is a huge Red Sox fan. I guess he just talked me into it. I've been to a bunch of Red Sox games and I just love Fenway Park. That kind of swayed my decision.

Q: I understand you have a history with the No. 12. Were you taking notice from afar that it might be open your freshman year?

A: You know, I did look last year to see who was wearing it and see if it was going to be available this year and luckily enough, it was. It's funny how things work out. I really haven't worn a different number my whole life.

Q: And what's the significance of the number to you?

A: Nothing, really, other than that my dad wore it when he played hockey when he was younger. I started wearing it at a young age and it's kind of worked out ever since.

Q: How would you describe your playing style for the fans who haven't necessarily seen you yet?

A: I think I'm a quick, aggressive forward who sees the ice well and has playmaking abilities. I'm just looking to set up my linemates, play the body and play within the system.

No comments: