Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oilers Re-Sign Former Vernon Viper Ofukany:

The CHL Tulsa Oilers have re-signed former Vernon Vipers tryout forward Troy Ofukany. Ofukany started the 2011-12 season with the ECHL Colorado Eagles but was released on October, 19th 2011 before signing with the Oilers in late November. Ofukany attended the 2004-05 Vernon Vipers training camp.  Okfukany played in a few exibition games before leaving the Vipers, & signing with the WHL Kelowna Rockets that season.

Troy Ofukany's Player Profile:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=80312

This is posted on the Oilers website:

Faster and Stronger, Ofukany Ready for Second Season in Tulsa

September 14 2012

TULSA, OK – The Tulsa Oilers announced today the signing of forward Troy Ofukany (oh-FOE-kuh-nee) for the 2012-13 season.

Ofukany, a 6’0” 210-pound winger, joined the Oilers in late November last season and recorded 11 goals and 17 assists in 53 games.  This time around, the 25-year old is looking forward to taking part in Tulsa’s training camp and starting with the team from day one.

“I came in late last year so it’s going to be good to start camp with the guys and be a part of this thing from the beginning,” Ofukany said.  “I think things will be a lot easier this time around because I know the expectations, I understand our goals as a team, and I think our team is in a better spot than we were last year.”

“We’re excited to have Troy back in Tulsa,” said Oilers Head Coach Bruce Ramsay.  “I thought he really improved as the season went on last year and he was definitely playing some of his best hockey toward the end of the season.  He’s always one of the fastest guys on the ice and he knows how to put the puck in the net, so I think he can have a big year for us.”

Ofukany, a native of Kamloops, British Columbia, acknowledges his speed as one of his best attributes.  This offseason, Ofukany has focused on adding strength in order to become a more complete player.

“I felt like I wasn’t as dominant in the corners as I need to be,” said Ofukany.  “I was faster last year but in order to get quickness, I had to lose weight.  Now, I’m trying to balance it out and I’ve managed to put on 10 to 15 pounds without sacrificing any of my speed.”

After a successful junior career in the WHL, Ofukany got his start as a pro with the Wichita Thunder.  He was named Wichita’s most improved player after pouring in a career-high 36 points during the 2008-09 campaign.  Ofukany went on to play for the Odessa Jackalopes and spent a season in Sweden before landing with the Oilers.  In last season’s regular season finale against Missouri, Ofukany notched his 100th professional point.  The Oilers fell just short of a postseason berth and Ofukany wants to make sure it doesn’t happen for a second straight year.

“It was disappointing because I think we we’re starting to come together and play better hockey over the final few games of the season,” Ofukany remembered.  “Making the playoffs is the most important thing for me because I haven’t been to the playoffs with any team over the last few years.  I want to win a championship and I definitely think this team is ready for a deep run.”

Ofukany and the Oilers begin the 2012-13 season at Wichita on Saturday, October 20th.  Tulsa’s home opener is slated for Friday, October 26th against the Quad City Mallards.  Get your tickets now by logging on to www.tulsaoilers.com or by calling 918-632-PUCK.

No comments: