Friday, June 15, 2012

Kraus Heads Grizz Bench:

This is in todays Morning Star Newspaper:

Kraus heads Grizz bench

Published: June 15, 2012

This time last year, former Vernon Vipers defenceman Kevin Kraus was making ends meet by bartending and landscaping.

That was before the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League’s Revelstoke Grizzlies offered him a position as assistant coach.

After just one season behind the bench, Kraus, a native of Garden Grove, Calif., has landed his first head coaching gig. The former Viper captain and two-time RBC Cup champion will take over the reigns from Randy Quakenbush for the coming season.

“Even when I was still playing in the BCHL, I always thought about getting into coaching,” said Kraus, 22. “I got a call (last summer) to apply for Revelstoke, went from there and I’ve never looked back. I always thought I was a better teacher than a player.”

Kraus, who spent time in the WHL with the Kamloops Blazers and Tri-City Americans before coming to Vernon, says two of his biggest influences were from his time with the Vipers.

“Early on in my career, I had some guys take me under their wing and teach me some stuff. Mark Ferner (former Viper head coach, now with the WHL Everett Silvertips) is an unbelievable teacher and a great coach, so I respect what I learned in Vernon with Jason (Williamson) and Mark.”

Kraus didn’t learn he was getting the head coach title until after all other KIJHL teams had held their spring camps, which makes his job of attracting players that much more difficult.

“The hardest part is trying to recruit kids; being a young coach trying to convince kids to come play is challenging,” he said.

No comments: