Friday, June 29, 2012

Canucks Re-Sign Former Viper Aaron Volpatti:

The Vancouver Canucks have re-signed former Vernon Vipers forward Aaron Volpatti.  Volpatti finished his second season with the Canucks after only playing in 23 regular season games after shoulder surgery in December.  Volpatti played three seasons in Vernon (2003-2006) In 137 regular season games with the Vipers Volpatti collected (13-24-37).  The Canucks signed Volpatti as a free agent on March 22, 2010.

Aaron Volpatti's Player Profile:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76574

This is posted on the Canucks website:

Canucks re-sign Aaron Volpatti

Friday, 15.06.2012

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks President and General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that forward Aaron Volpatti has been re-signed to a one-year contract.

Volpatti, 27, recorded a goal, 37 penalty minutes and 61 hits in 23 games with Vancouver in 2011.12. In 38 NHL games, all with Vancouver, the 6’1”, 185 lbs. forward has recorded three points (2-1-3), 97 hits and 53 penalty minutes.

Before joining Vancouver, he skated in 61 AHL games with the Manitoba Moose, recording 13 points (3-10-13) and 91 penalty minutes. Prior to playing professional hockey, the 6’1”, 185 lbs. forward played four years with Brown University, serving as captain in his senior year. He registered 62 points (32-30-62) and 236 penalty minutes in 123 career college games.

The Revelstoke, BC, native was originally signed by Vancouver as a free agent on March 22, 2010.

This was in the Vancouver Sun Newspaper:

Volpatti takes slight pay cut to remain with Canucks

By BRAD ZIEMER, Vancouver Sun

June 15, 2012

If winger Mason Raymond loses his arbitration case, he won't be the only Vancouver Canuck taking a pay cut.

Fellow winger Aaron Volpatti agreed Friday to a one-year, two-way contract at a slightly reduced NHL salary and nearly a 50-per-cent cut in his minor-league pay.

Volpatti's deal will pay him $600,000 at the NHL level, but only $105,000 if he gets shipped to the minors. Last season, he made $625,000 with the Canucks and $200,000 at the minor-league level.

Unlike when he came out of Brown University in the spring of 2010 and had a number of clubs seeking his services, Volpatti was not in a great bargaining position this time around.

He made the Canucks out of training camp, but the 27-year-old Revelstoke native's season was cut short when he underwent shoulder surgery in December to repair a torn left labrum. He only appeared in 23 games with the Canucks last season, scoring one goal and picking up 37 penalty minutes.

"It was bad timing, obviously, for my injury," Volpatti said Friday from his Vernon home. "I thought I was starting to carve out a niche for myself and I was looking forward to a good year. I am just going to try and build off the fact that I started the season there last year."

Volpatti will compete for a spot on Vancouver's fourth line, where he knows he must bring a physical presence. One of Volpatti's strengths is that he plays much bigger than his 6-foot-1, 185-pound frame.

But Volpatti also thinks he has more to give offensively. He has managed just two goals and three points in 38 career NHL games.

"I know what role I need to fill and I am comfortable with it," Volpatti said. "I think I can contribute more offensively. I just want to concentrate on getting better. The new-age fourth-liner isn't playing four or five minutes a night any more. You have to be able to play the game. My physical game is always going to be there. It always has."

The Canucks are enamoured with Volpatti's physical presence, but also think he has some upside.

"Aaron is a rugged, physical winger," said assistant general manager Laurence Gilman. "He's got a blend of size and physicality and has got an aggressive streak that is complementary to the rest of of our group."

Volpatti acknowledged his rehab from injury was made more difficult by the fact he was in the last year of his first pro contract.

"I thought about that quite a bit," Volpatti said. "I debated at the time when I was diagnosed with my shoulder problem, I put a lot of thought into if I should try and play just because it was my last year and I obviously wanted to set myself up for a contract. But after talking to a few people, it was a better decision for my career in the long run to get it done and make sure I didn't make it any worse."

Volpatti could have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but wanted to return to the Canucks.

"For me, I just thought I had something to prove in Vancouver. Obviously, I love Vancouver, I'm from B.C. and I think it was important for me to come back and prove myself. I want to play a full season in Vancouver. That's my ultimate goal."

Volpatti's $105,000 minor-league salary is significant as that is the maximum amount a player can make without being subject to re-entry or recall waivers.

Earlier this week, the Canucks confirmed they are taking Raymond to arbitration in an attempt to have his $2.6-million salary reduced by up to 15 per cent.

No comments: