Thursday, November 27, 2008

Viper Talent Up For Grabs:

This is in todays Morning Star Newspaper:

Viper talent up for grabs

By Graeme Corbett - Vernon Morning StarPublished: November 27, 2008

They may not come with a stick of stale bubblegum, but the Vernon Vipers’ hockey trading cards are still a pretty hot commodity.
And rather than fork out big bucks to lay hands on a mint Gretzky card, to get one of these beauties, you simply ask a local RCMP officer, or head to the McDonald’s on 58th Avenue, Mondays between 5-6 p.m.
The Vipers’ Sahir Gill and Trent Dorais (Dec. 1), Cory Kane and Stevie Weinstein (Dec. 8), Graeme Gordon and Adam Thompson (Dec. 15) will greet fans and sign autographs, with sessions returning on Jan. 5 after the Christmas break.
RCMP officers will carry the cards as a way to improve their rapport with Vernon’s youth.
Vipers team sets will be available during games at the souvenir booth in Wesbild Centre, starting Friday, Dec. 5.
“It’s a good way to get out with the fans,” said the Vipers’ Chris Crowell, of the signing sessions.
“It’ll be nice when I’m older to look back at them. My mom has grabbed a few from each year, so I’m sure she’ll hold onto them for me.
Added Crowell, grinning: “And no, they don’t go on the fridge. She tried that one, and I took them down. If I didn’t, my brothers would have.”
Second-year forward Kellen Jones is thrilled to have his own trading card.
“I had tons of baseball and hockey cards growing up, and I liked them all. It’s pretty cool because you grow up seeing all these great hockey players on hockey cards, and now that you’ve got your own, you feel kind of important, even though you might not be.
“I got tons at home, and kids are still asking for them around my town (Montrose, B.C.).”
There was no argument between brothers Cody and Cole Ikkala as to whose card would sell better on eBay.
“Probably Cody’s – he’s got a little more veteran status on me,” deferred Cole, a rookie.
When asked whose card he’d like to have most, Cody replied with his surgically-repaired grin: “Probably (Vipers owner) Duncan Wray’s.”
Cody’s pearly whites required the attention of Dr. Wray – a retired dental surgeon – when he took a puck in the teeth during practice last month.

No comments: