Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Off The Ice With Former Viper Dean Strong:

Here is a closeup look at former Vernon Vipers forward Dean Strong. Strong is in his second season with the AHL Lake Erie Monsters. Strong started this season with the Monsters before being assigned to the CHL Denver Cutthroats on December, 6th playing in three games picking up one goal before being sent back to Lake Erie on December, 13th. In twenty three games with Lake Erie this season Strong has (4-7-11).

Strong played last season with the ECHL Kalamazoo Wings, AHL Chicago Wolves and the AHL Lake Erie Monsters. Strong started the 2011-12 season with the ECHL Kalamazoo Wings. In November 2011 Strong was loaned to the AHL Chicago Wolves. In five games with the Wolves Strong collected (0-3-3) before returning to Kalamazoo. On December 15th 2011 Strong was loaned to the AHL Lake Erie Monsters where he would finish the season. In 49 games with the Monsters Strong collected (4-10-14). Strong returned to Kalamazoo after the Monsters missed the playoffs where he finished the remainder of the season. In 21 games with the Wings Strong collected (11-12-23). Strong played one year in Vernon (2004-05) collecting (35-56-91) with the Vipers.

Dean Strong's Player Profile:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=83858

This is posted on Cleveland.com website:

OFF THE ICE WITH . . . Lake Erie Monsters forward Dean Strong

By Dennis Manoloff, The Plain Dealer

January 24, 2013

Shoots: Right. Born: July 17, 1985, Mississauga, Ontario.

College: Vermont.

PD: You played for a team in Germany for 25 games in 2010-11. Summarize the experience.

DS: I had an injury that forced me to come home early. Other than that, it was fine. I really enjoyed the culture.

PD: Favorite food/drink when in Germany?

DS: Spatzle and Gluhwein.

PD: What is Gluhwein?

DS: A festive drink. It's like hot wine, with some other stuff in there. Tastes great.

PD: Was hockey always your favorite sport?

DS: I didn't really choose until the end of high school. I also played soccer, football and wrestled. And I golfed in the summer.

PD: What positions in football?

DS: Middle linebacker and kicker. I don't even know if I made one field goal, we were so bad.

PD: When did you think you could make a living playing hockey?

DS: Honestly, I didn't think I'd be doing anything with any sport. But if there was one, it was going to be hockey.

PD: Why would you have that mind-set?

DS: I have no idea. I never was a superstar, I just enjoyed playing.

PD: What is it like to play for Monsters coach Dean Chynoweth?

DS: That's a dangerous question, so I'll put together a political answer. He's knowledgeable about the game and great with the players. The guys respect him.

PD: Preferred activities away from ice?

DS: Lots of couch time. Going out for dinner -- even though that doesn't happen very often. I wish I were more exciting.

PD: Favorite athlete?

DS: Tiger Woods.

PD: Super Bowl pick/why?

DS: 49ers. [Colin] Kaepernick has nothing but energy. I think he will propel them through it.

PD: What is one thing about you that even your friends might not know?

DS: When I was 3 or 4, I stuck my right hand into a stationary bike and cut three of my fingers badly. They were able to sew them back on.

PD: Are you serious?

DS: I wouldn't lie about something like that. My cousin, who was about the same age, was on the bike. She didn't know what she was doing. I walked up to it and, like a dummy, stuck my hand in there somewhere. The fingers were hanging and we rushed to the hospital. I've got small scars to remind me.

PD: Any other wild events in your life?

DS: I had a hole-in-one last year.

PD: Elaborate, please.

DS: It was the 12th hole at Vermont National. I used a Mizuno 9-iron. The ball took one bounce and rolled 4, 5 feet and disappeared. I have a witness.

PD: What ball did you use and where is it?

DS: Titleist Pro V1 that I found in the bushes the previous hole. My dad asked for it about six months ago. I figured he was going to do something with it, but nothing's happened yet.

No comments: