Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vipers Add Grit With The Addition Of Persley:

When I had first heard Brendan Persley wasnt attending the Vipers Training camp and was giving the Western Hockey League another shot attending the Tri-City Americans Training camp I was pretty disappointed.  I wasnt sure if Persley would make the Am's 2012-13 season roster or come back to Vernon and join the Vipers early into the regular season.  But when I had heard that the Vipers sent the playing rights of Persley on September 4th to the Virden Oil Capitals for Mitch Van Teeling something told me that the Vipers must have got word from the Americans Persley wouldnt be returning to BC. 

It was this past Friday afternoon when I read Persley was cut by the Am's and then added to the Vipers roster.  I was surprised but yet happy as I have always liked the hard work, physical play and gritty play from the Kelowna BC native.  Persley who started to come on and play some of his best hockey of the season towards the end of the 2011-12 season brings alot of character & leadership to the Vipers roster.  Persley is one of those kids who isnt afriad to go into the corner, get in front of the net and fight for the puck or try and create something down low.  Brendan may not be a big goal scorer but can put the puck in the net and has shown he does have a little offensive side to his game.  I really like the mix of this year's Vipers roster and like the addition of Brendan Persley. 

During Friday's game I was trying to figure out wich two Viper players would be released or traded once the return of Mitch McAllister and Braeden Russell.  (Can only have a 22 man roster) As I looked down the roster I saw Riley Hunt's name but in no way would they trade the young fan favorite.  Well Tuesday evening when getting home from work I was shocked to see Hunt had been traded to Salmon Arm.

I for one was never very impressed with Riley Hunt, sure he works and plays very hard but is one of the smallest kids in the league as well as one of the most ineffective players in the league.  Hunt who scored just a single goal last season as a 16 yr old I was very surprised even made the team-yet stuck with the club for the entire season last year.  If you look at the stats from last year Hunt had the lowest points total out of all the sixteen year olds in the league.  I really paid attention and watched the other teams sixteen year olds closely last season and on most nights the visiting teams sixteen year old outplayed or stood out over the Vipers Hunt.  Yes he plays with alot of energy but dosnt generate or rarly creates any scoring chances on most nights.  If anything I was hoping the Vipers would have played Hunt on the penalty kill, his speed and energy may have been used to advantage killing penalties.  I just didnt see a whole lot in Riley Hunt and figured last year he would have been better to play a full season in Jr B get some experience, lots of icetime and develope more in Jr B. 

After watching Training camp and all of the Vipers exhibition games I thought their was atleast two or three other kids who were bigger, stronger, and more offensive minded over Riley Hunt.  I just never saw what the scouts or Vipers coaching staff saw in this young kid but as we all know everyone see's and watches the game and players differently.  I sure hope this trade is for the best of Riley and maybe a new fresh start with a new team will help him.  I wish him all the best in Salmon Arm and his hockey career.

Once the Vipers get back Mitch McAllister and Braeden Russell it will be interesting to see who will be released-traded.  The Vipers currently have a 23 man roster with both Russell and McAllister on the injured reserve.

No comments: