Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Vipers Lose Robinson:

This is in todays Morning Star Newspaper:

Vipers lose Robinson

by  Kevin Mitchell - Vernon Morning Star

posted May 28, 2014

Dave Robinson will spend the summer working at Coldstream Ranch and pondering his future. Robinson, 24, has left the Vernon Vipers’ den after two years as an assistant coach with the B.C. Hockey League team.

He is a Vernon minor hockey product and former Viper captain.

“It is time for me to explore new options moving forward in my life,” said Robinson. “I would like to thank Duncan Wray, Jason Williamson and Kris Mallette, and the entire Vipers organization for the opportunity they have given me. I would also like to thank the fans of Vernon for all their support the last two years.”

The Vipers will just go with Williamson and Mallette as associate coaches next season.

“Dave was a Viper through and through,” said Williamson, also the Vernon GM. “He’s got to explore other options and now’s the time to do it. He brought passion as an assistant coach and I understand why he’s leaving. He’s 24 years old. I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I was 24. I didn’t want to see him go.”

Robinson joined the Vipers midway through the 2009-10 season from the WHL Chilliwack Bruins and helped Vernon claim the 2010 Royal Bank Cup in Dauphin, Man. He was captain the following season when the Vipers lost the 2011 RBC final, 2-0, to the Pembroke Lumber Kings, in Camrose, Alta.

“It’s all good,” said Robinson, whose late grandfather, Vern Dye, helped found the Vernon franchise and the B.C. Junior Hockey League. “I kept my focus in the RBC and kept my head and heart with the team. After it was over, I sat down and talked to my parents and decided it was time to move on.”

Robinson joined the coaching staff after one year of playing CIS with the University of Calgary Dinosaurs.

“Coaching’s something I can always go back to down the road.” The fearless winger rung up 43 points and 265 penalty minutes with Chilliwack and 75 points and 188 PIM with Vernon.

Meanwhile, the Vipers officially announced that winger Tyler Povelofskie has been sent to the Alberni Valley Bulldogs to complete the Craig Martin for Jared Wilson trade last fall.

“I told him that when you host a national championship, the price tag is going to be higher,” said Williamson. “He’s a terrific kid and I’d love to have him back, but I couldn’t do it.”

A 17-year-old Williams Lake product, the hard-hitting Povelofskie collected two goals, five points and 51 penalty minutes in the regular season.

Williamson still has to send future considerations to the Surrey Eagles to complete the deal for Brett Mulcahy.

No comments: