Friday, May 23, 2014

Former Vernon Lakers Hero Sylven Returns To Vernon:

It has been 24 years since Cam Sylven's overtime winner over the New Westminster Royals in the 1990 Centennial Cup, gave the Vernon Lakers their first national championship and put Vernon on the Junior A map. With the city hosting the 2014 RBC Cup, Sylven returned to the Civic Arena for a walk down memory lane.  Sylven was on hand for the Vipers first game of the RBC Cup last week to drop the puck for the opening ceremonies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFgDNk_4HFM

1 comment:

vipersdiehardfan said...

I was at the 1990 Centennial Cup attending all the Lakers games and the final vs New Westminster was by far the most exciting and thrilling hockey game I have ever been at or watched at any point to this stage in my life.

I remember that game like it was yesterday and will never forget it!

The Lakers were down 5-2 in the 3rd, Dean Kutz takes a 5 minute major for slashing and gets pulled from the game in favor of a young Murray Caton who comes in playing in very little action up to this point, dosnt allow a single goal as Vernon kills off the five minute major, ties the game before Cam Sylven's overtime winner!

I still have that game on tape and watched it about fifteen years ago, I have been thinking of pulling it out of the closet and watching it again.

Some great memories for sure that I will never forget!

The following season I got my first set of Lakers season tickets and have had them ever since (23 straight years)