Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Riley Hunt - Viper Buzzsaw:

This is posted on Vernon Centrals website:

Editor’s Note: this article is part of a 10-part series about this year’s crop of new Vernon Viper players.

Riley Hunt - Viper Buzzsaw

By Don Klepp

Sep 21/2011

Riley Hunt. Photo: Don Klepp

He looks young because he is young – just 16. And at 5’5” and 155 pounds, he seems even younger. But don’t be fooled – he’s no pushover and he has a very mature attitude.

For example, consider his physical play. He’s not afraid of taking a hit or delivering a check in order to make a play. He says, “I’ve always been a physical, aggressive player but now that I’m up against bigger guys I can’t go for the big open ice hits. If I pick my spots though, especially against the wall, I can contribute some physical intensity.”

He’s very clear about the message sent by playing physically: “I’m not going to back down because I’m smaller and you’re not going to push me around. Obviously, I’m not going to intimidate anybody, but I’m going to get in there and dig for pucks.”

His father, Earl, says that Riley has always been fearless. Riley agrees: “One of the reasons I’m at this level at a young age is that I keep on going no matter how big or fast the other players are. I have a lot to learn about how and when to stick my nose in there, but Vernon’s a great place to learn the game.”

One of the keys to his survival and success is his speed. As he says, “Most smaller players have that speed and they have to take advantage of it. Luckily, the way the game is played now, speed is essential and I have a chance to play here because of my skating.”

He loves the Vipers’ up-tempo style: “It’s one of the reasons I came here and one of the things I admire about the Vipers. No matter who the Vipers play, or who’s on the ice, every Viper plays that style, hard on the forecheck and on the backcheck. I love it!”

He says he’s in the process of making several adjustments early in the season. His biggest adjustment, he says, will be the “60-game schedule and daily practices and going to school, too. You have to be ready all the time. Right now it feels a little chaotic, but that’s where the vets will help me learn how to be mentally and physically prepared all the time.”

“My goal right now,” he says, “is to give everything I have every day.”

Fortunately, he is by nature an energetic, upbeat person. He also seems to be able to pump up the energy level when he needs to perform. And he knows what he needs to do: “As a smaller guy at this level, I can’t just fit in. I have to stand out with intensity and speed. I love a good challenge and every shift this year will be a challenge.”

His goals for this season are straightforward. “I’m not going to focus on goals and assists. When you start doing that you lose track of your priorities. I just want to get better every day, help the team win, and keep up with my school work.”

Do you not agree that Riley Hunt is rather mature for a 16-year-old?

No comments: