Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Robinson Leaves Bruin Den:

This is in todays Morning Star Newspaper:

Robinson leaves Bruin den

Published: December 08, 2009

CHILLIWACK – One night after helping his team to one of the most memorable wins in franchise history, David Robinson is walking away from the Chilliwack Bruins.

The 19-year-old forward informed the team of his decision Monday morning, less than 24 hours after helping the Bruins to an impressive 4-0 win over the visiting Vancouver Giants.

After that game, the gritty veteran spoke with enthusiasm about seeing the team turning the corner and shedding its image as a perennial Western Hockey League doormat.

After spending 169 games in a Bruins uniform, second only to Matt Meropoulis (179), it was reasonable to think Robinson would want to stick around to see the team continue to blossom.

But in the end, the Vernon native decided his heart just wasn’t in it any more.

“I’ve been having this feeling for a while, going back to last year,” said Robinson. “I’ve always been the guy who found it easy to work hard. When I started to find myself having to get up for games, it might not have looked like I lost my fire, but it just wasn’t fun for me anymore.”

Robinson struggles to pinpoint a specific moment when his passion for the game diminished. His Bruins career was played on teams that lost a lot of games, and that wears on a player.

“I’ve always had troubles with self confidence, and I really get down on myself,” he admitted. “Last year didn’t pan out the way I wanted it to. We’ve got a good squad this year, but my feelings just carried over. I wanted to succeed, but I can’t keep battling myself.”

Dominant offensively in his midget days, Robinson was unable to translate that to the major junior level. He notched just 23 goals and 43 points in his 169 games, never quite fullfilling the promise that former Chilliwack GM Darrell May thought he possessed.

“I wasn’t expecting to put up 50 goals or anything in my first year, but as I got an increased role, I had bigger expectations for myself that I didn’t meet,” he said. “In the end, I thought I was letting the team down. I was working hard, but my heart wasn’t there.”

He ended his Chilliwack tenure with 265 career penalty minutes, a record.

Avid followers of the team would point to that as proof that his contributions went well beyond goals and assists.

“The penalty minute record is kind of cool, I guess,” he said with a grin.

Robinson came to the arena Monday afternoon to say his goodbyes, minutes before an optional practice.

“We’re together every day for eight months of the year,” he said. “You see guys get traded, like Freezy (Mark Friesen) last week, and it’s tough. I’m sure I’ll keep in touch with them. Every bond is a unique one, and there’s nothing quite like a hockey team’s dressing room.”

The BCHL Vipers are interested in Robinson, but he has also spent a lot of time pondering becoming a firefighter.

“I’m going to go home and figure things out,” he said. “Hockey could be an option down the road. I don’t know. I just need this change in my life right now.”

No comments: