Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Vipers Owner Honoured By City:

This is on the Kiss FM website:

Vipers Owner Honoured By City

Written by Peter McIntyre

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

The long time owner of the Vernon Vipers admits he never saw it coming.

Duncan Wray has received the Freedom of the City award, the highest honour the city of Vernon can bestow upon a citizen.

Wray was brought to the ceremony by wife Libby, thinking it was to honour the team, and was caught by surprise.

"I was saying to the guys yesterday, I don't think I'm going to show. I just feel a little uncomfortable about having not won (the RBC final) and everybody's expectations were so high, but they said 'You've got to go,' so I figured I'd show up, but I no idea it would be for this type of ceremony"

The retired oral and maxillofacial surgeon was presented with the award by Mayor Wayne Lippert at a ceremony at City Hall.

"I'm overwhelmed. It's a tremendous honour. As Mayor Lippert said, only 20 people have got this in the last 50 years, so to be considered in that group is pretty huge."

Wray joins the likes of Kal Tire founder Tom Foord, Funtastic's John Topping and lawyer-former mayor Neil Davidson to receive the award.

Wray's teams has won five BC titles and four national championships in his 19 years as owner.

"I've always felt I've treated these kids as well as I treat my own kids. I believe in being fair and these kids come here for a reason."

He doesn't have one special memory as owner but says winning the Royal Bank Cup four times is special.


Wray will be inducted into the BC Hockey Hall of Fame in July in Penticton along with the likes of former NHL great Joe Sakic.

"There's some pretty big names there, and I'm sure it's not Joe Who, it's Duncan Who. I maintain they were looking for Duncan Keith and they picked the wrong Duncan."

However, he is proud of his contribution to hockey.

"I've only done what I thought was best for the individuals I was working with at the time. If that's something that's worthy of these honours, then so be it, but I proud of every player and coach that's been here."

The Vipers--who finished second at the Royal Bank Cup--were honoured at a BBQ at Spirit Square.

Wray says he's planning to continue as owner.

"I can't see any reason to give it up. I've always said, the day I give it up, is the day I stop having fun."

He expects Mark Ferner and Jason Williamson to return as coaches next season.

"Absolutely, they've all got contracts, but there is an unwritten rule that if they get an opportunity to go to a higher level, certainly I'm not going to stop them."

The team expects to get as many as 15 players back next season.

No comments: