Saturday, May 14, 2011

Former Viper Morgan Tries To Stay Positive After Latest Injury:

Here is a article on former Vernon Vipers defenceman, Nyjer Morgan that was posted on the Milwaukee Brewers website last week. Morgan played two games with the Vipers as an "AP" back during the 1996-97 season.

This is posted on the Brewers website:

Morgan tries to stay positive after latest injury

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com | 05/06/11

MILWAUKEE -- After taking out some aggression the night before, Nyjer Morgan was ready Friday to discuss his latest bit of brutal luck.

The Brewers placed Morgan on the disabled list on Friday with a fractured left middle finger, suffered on an eighth-inning bunt Thursday night in Atlanta. Morgan was only two days removed from a previous DL stint, and was inconsolable in the dugout and then in the clubhouse, where he stormed about in anger. Morgan had to apologize to the visiting clubhouse crew at Turner Field after kicking a hole through some drywall.

He also had a chat with manager Ron Roenicke.

"It was a little too far. I've talked to him about it," Roenicke said. "He's emotional. You can't take that away from him. But sometimes you have to rein it in."

Morgan was considerably calmer by Friday afternoon.

"I have to keep a positive attitude," he said. "I have to root on the boys. This is still one of the best groups I've ever been with, and I enjoy competing with them every day. I didn't expect to come here and be a Band-Aid."

Morgan's finger was fractured near the base of his fingertip and he wore a splint on Friday, but he will not need surgery, like catcher Jonathan Lucroy did in Spring Training. The Brewers say Morgan will miss 2-4 weeks, and the outfielder, acquired in a late-March trade with Washington, was aiming for the low end of that estimate.

"I just have to hang in there," he said. "I don't know, dude. I feel like I've been living right. It's just adversity, you know? It was two little fluke plays."

The first such play was April 13 in Pittsburgh, when Morgan suffered a deep right thigh bruise in a plate collision with Pirates catcher Ryan Doumit.

He rehabbed at Triple-A Nashville and returned to the Brewers on Tuesday in Atlanta. Two nights later, he was hurt again on the bunt.

"It's like, just give me a break," he said. "[The fractured finger is] not the break that I was looking for right here. Just let me go out there and play in my happy place. It's tough. ... They say everything happens for a reason, but I'm just tired of hearing that."

No comments: