Monday, May 16, 2011

Q And A With Vernon Vipers Playmaker Michael Zalewski:

Dan Sallows sit's down with Vernon Vipers forward, Mike Zalewski and asks a few questions with the Vipers rookie. I found these questions the other day on Dan's website, http://dansallows.com/  I know how old this is but I thought I would post it anyways.

Q and A with Vernon Vipers Playmaker Michael Zalewski

Posted by Dan in Interviews

The Vernon Vipers may be hard pressed to win their third straight Royal Bank Cup, especially after losing all but 6 players from last seasons roster, though it wouldn’t be out of the question as their scouting staff continues to find talent that puts the team in a position to compete year after year. One of those good finds is New Hartford, NY native Michael Zalewski, who is just getting his feet wet so far in the BCHL, but once he does, has all the talent and potential to breakout into a very reliable scoring threat. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound forward spent the 2009-10 season with the EJHL’s Syracuse Stars, a club that has produced the likes of Brian Gionta, Tim Connolly and Rob Schremp. In 43 games, the talented Zalewski registered 16 goals and 48 points, which sat him 4th overall on the club in scoring. His 11 power play assists were a team best, and good for 9th overall in the league. His playmaking ability is outstanding, but he also has a knack for scoring goals, which he proved back in high school. Zalewski racked up 44 goals and 87 points in 30 games for his New Hartford Spartans in 2008-09, en route to winning the state’s Division II Player of the Year, the Meyer Memorial Award (which is awarded to a junior hockey player who demonstrates strong skills, good citizenship and is highly committed to the sport), and a State Championship. His older brother Steven is a slick centre that plays for the San Jose Sharks affiliate in Worcester, and the two mirror each other with their offensive ability, good work ethic, and strong two-way play. I had the chance to catch up with the budding young star, for a quick Q and A.

Who has been your biggest influence on your hockey career, and helped you the most in developing into the player you are?

Michael: My dad has definitley been the biggest influence on my hockey career. He coached me for more than half of my life and still continues to help me develop into the player I want to be.
Hockey isn’t the most popular sport in the US, when did you start, and what got you into playing the game?

Michael: I started skating when I was three I believe. I would guess I started playing at four or five. My dad I helped me get started, but I have three siblings older than me, and they all play hockey so I guess their wasn’t any question as to what I was going to play.
You are a big guy, who has a knack for scoring goals, but can also dish the puck as well. What do you believe to be your best attributes as a player?

Michael: I would probably say that my vision is my best attribute. I like setting guys up, and I think I see the ice well.
Is there an NHler you mold your game after?

Michael: I don’t think their is one NHLer that I mold my game after, but I suppose I try to play like a mixture of Joe Thornton and Pavel Datsyuk.
You were selected by the USHL’s Youngstown Phantoms in the 2010 Futures Draft, but have opted to play with the BCHL’s Vernon Vipers instead. What was the reasoning, and how did it come about?

Michael: At the end of last season I was looking into the BCHL, and as I looked into it, my family advisor Steve Bartlett said that he was good friends with Mark Ferner and Steve put in a good word for me, and after that I was set on Vernon. I was pretty much already set on Vernon before the USHL draft even happened.
The Vipers are in a rebuild mode after their championship run last season, where do you see the strengths of this club in 2010-11?

I see our strengths in our speed and skill. We have a lot of new faces that are still trying to gel so it may take a little more time than it did in years past, but I believe when we all get on the same page and start working hard in the same direction that we’ll be a real strong hockey club.
What has been your ‘welcome moment’ to the BCHL?

Michael: Uh, to be honest I can’t really think of any moment, maybe scoring two goals in the exhibition I played against Salmon Arm, I’m not sure if that counts as a welcome to the league moment though.
How do you like hockey life in Canada, and the town of Vernon, BC so far?

Michael: So far, I love it out here. I come from a town that is similar in size to Vernon so it wasn’t a difficult adjustment, but I don’t think their are very many junior teams, if any, that are better to play for than Vernon. We get great support from the town, and it seems like a great place to live.
You’ve scored a ton of goals through high school hockey with New Hartford, and last year as a rookie with the EJHL’s Syracuse Stars. Do you have one that stands out as your biggest?

Michael: No one goal really stands out in my mind as being the biggest, I guess I can’t really think of just one.
You led New Hartford to a Division II state championship in 2009, and were named tourney MVP. where does that rank on your hockey accomplishments so far?

Michael: That is definitley up there in my accomplishments thus far in my career. I’ve won states twice in youth hockey, but it didn’t compare to winning it in high school.
You were listed among the top 200 North American Skaters in the NHL’s mid-term draft rankings last season. Is the NHL your ulitimate goal, or right now are you concentrating on an NCAA scholarship opportunity?

Michael: My immediate goal right now is a NCAA scholarship, but ultimately I want to play in the NHL. Obviously that’s everybody’s dream and not many players get there, but I think as I’ve gotten older it’s become a more realistic goal to me. I was honored to be on the top 200 list last year, but it only made me want to work harder to get drafted this year.
You have yet to commit to any schools, but have you got a short-list of places you’d like to play?

Michael: I have a couple schools in mind but ultimately I want to find a school that wants me, and a school that I can come into and contribute right away.
Who, in your opinion, is the best player your’ve played with or against in your hockey career so far?

Michael: I would have to say goaltender Andy Iles is the best player I’ve ever played with. He’s going to Cornell this year as a true freshman, and he’s unbelievable.
Do you have a nickname?

Michael: Most guys call me just ‘Z’ or maybe ‘Zeus’.
Most embarrassing hockey moment?

Michael: One time when I was younger I forgot my hockey pants and had to wear my khaki shorts on the ice instead. That was pretty embarassing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is back before season started. he has signed on with RPI months ago