Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Farynuk Respects Japanese Way:

This was in Sundays Morning Star Newspaper:

Farynuk respects Japanese way

By Kevin Mitchell - Vernon Morning Star

Published: April 10, 2011

Editor’s Note: Enderby’s Brad Farynuk and his wife Kathy were in Japan when the March 11 earthquake and tsunami struck. Their trials and tribulations have been chronicled in The Morning Star. The interview for this article was conducted on March 3.

Major League Baseball outfielder Kevin Reimer had some simple advice for hockey defenceman Brad Farynuk before he went to Japan two years ago.

Reimer, also from Enderby, spent two years with the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks after finishing a six-year MLB career with the Milwaukee Brewers in 1993.

“He told me that I had to watch Mr. Baseball (starring Tom Selleck) to help sum professional sports up in Japan, and I will admit that there are a lot of similarities,” said Farynuk, 29.

“It’s an incredible experience and there are so many great aspects of life to take home with us at the end of each season.”

Farynuk racked up 12 goals and 36 points for second in defenceman scoring, while leading the Tohoku Freeblades in penalty minutes with 143. The Freeblades won the Asian league title and, following the earthquake, were named co-winners of the playoff title with a Korean team.

“I feel like the referees don’t particularly like my physical play here and have received a few strange calls,” said Farynuk, who played for the Vernon Vipers in the 2000-01 season before earning dual engineering degrees at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York.

“Keep in mind I have never got a penalty that I deserved in hockey! I am alternate captain and it is very challenging as I cannot communicate with a lot of our players during the games the way I want to, nor the officials. I feel like there just needs to be a bit more education and experience for Japanese hockey in general (players, coaches and officials) but it comes with the territory.”

The amiable Farynuk said the language is very difficult with the words spoken quicker and the syllables blended together.

“I have got most of the hockey terms but we are very lucky our coach is Japanese-Canadian and spent most of his childhood in Canada before going back to Japan. Most of the Japanese players can understand the key words and have studied parts of the English language at some point growing up.”

Farynuk said there are three players in the league who have played in the NHL, and a dozen or so others with AHL or ECHL experience.

“The top two lines of each team could all play in the ECHL easily, but the depth after that drops off. The pace is pretty similar to the ECHL but less physical. Some players are very agile and swift but probably lack the grit of the North American player. Our coach encourages me to help spread how we play pro hockey in North America.

“Our faithful fans are pretty great here and perform cheers and chants throughout the whole game. They will usually chant a player’s name during the next whistle after he makes a great play. They nicknamed me ‘Kuma-san’ which means ‘Mr. Bear’ or ‘Big Bear’ in Japanese and will chant if I am lucky enough to score a goal or throw a big check!”

Farynuk, who headed to Japan after three years of minor-pro, said the food and culture are amazing.

“Everyone buys about one or two days of food at the grocery store and at fresh markets. Nothing tastes loaded up with preservatives and artificial whatevers. I feel like North Americans can learn a lot about eating and health from the Japanese (I think they have one of the lowest cancer rates in the world even though high percentages of people smoke here still).

“I personally enjoy the communal dining (Shabu Shabu or Yakiniku) where you have a coal-heated grill (Korean BBQ) or a simmering hot pot in the middle of your table and you keep adding freshly sliced meats and veggies and eat them with your chop sticks right from the grill or pot in front of you.”

Farynuk says the Japanese are the most respectful people he has ever met.

“The respect they show for their elders, bosses, parents, and especially our family name which I feel we as Canadians might be slacking at in our generation. I love watching the players on our team first seeing our team owner (who owns Xebio Super Sports and its 175 Canadian Tire-sized stores) at a game and the ‘bow-off’ that takes place in showing him respect.”

The 6-foot, 210-pounder was also impressed with the full-service gas stations in Japan.

“Gas prices are similar here. I believe Japan has to import something like over 80 per cent of its energy resources. The gas men run around your car with actual rags washing all your windows here (no squeegees), give you a wet rag to wipe your dashboard down, help you back out or guide you out of the garage, and then bow on the street corner to you as you drive like 50 yards down the road! It’s unreal.”

Their apartment, like most houses in Japan, are made with flexible materials to help withstand earthquakes.

“We have sliding doors separating most rooms, have the best electronically temperature-controlled shower/bathroom facilities, and about one square metre of counter space! We don’t have an oven which is probably my number one complaint but we just crave things like lasagna and bread/muffins once in a while. We don’t sleep on the floor mats but I have teammates that still do and linens here always come with no top sheet! Most places, everyone wears slippers inside including when you enter doctor offices and many of the restaurants.”

Currently vacationing in Aruba, Farynuk is considering offers to play in Austria or Germany next year. His agent is based in Denmark.

“I feel passionate about hockey still so I don’t quite think I am ready to ‘hang them up’. When I am not playing hockey, I am constantly thinking about it and all the life lessons, education, friendships, and now I think is the time to enjoy it. I can use my engineering degrees (mechanical and aerospace) for the rest of my life but once I quit playing hockey then there is probably no going back on it unless it were coaching.”

No comments: