Friday, July 4, 2014

Rockets Name Former Vipers Associate Coach Mallette New Assistant Coach:

This is posted on the Rockets website:

Kelowna Hires Alumni Kris Mallette as Assistant Coach

Jul 04, 2014

The Kelowna Rockets are pleased to announce they have hired former Kelowna Rockets player Kris Mallette as an assistant coach.

Mallette, a 35, is in his fifth year of coaching and was an associate head coach with the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL last season.

A resident of Kelowna, Mallette played 152 games for the Rockets over two-plus seasons as a stay at home defenceman, beginning in 1996-97 and ending in 1998-99. He then went on to a nine year professional career before retiring due to injury following the 2008-09 season.

"This is full circle for me," said Mallette,"I got my start back in the old Memorial Arena. Once I got into coaching my ultimate goal was always to coach with the Rockets. I'm fortunate with the success Ryan (Huska) had, he was able to move on. It's fantastic getting back to a team that has done so much for me."
During his professional career, Mallette played for eight different teams, racking up over 300 penalty minutes three different times and playing over 500 games.
"I wasn't the most skilled player so I had to rely on something else," he said. "I became a student of the game. I really paid attention to a lot of details and as my career progressed I spent more and more time picking the brains of the coaches I had."

Back in Kelowna after his playing career, Mallette joined former NHLer Brent Gilchrist with the Kelowna Minor Hockey midget tier 1 team where the pair won a provincial title. He then moved on to North Okanagan (KIJHL) first as an assistant and then as a head coach where he was named division coach of the year and then KIJHL Coach of the Year in consecutive years. Vernon was up next where the former Rocket was an associate head coach with the Vipers last season.

Rockets President/GM Bruce Hamilton said Mallette is ready for the challenge after paying his dues, first as a player and then as a coach.
"Kris has worked at every level to get himself to where he is," said Hamilton. "He came to us years ago and asked about coaching and I said he had to go and learn. He's done that. He's worked at every level. He's from a bit of a different era in our organization. It's a lot different than when he played but he understands exactly what we are all about and he understands what the expectations are to play here."

A married father of two, Mallette met his wife Susie in Kelowna when he was a player. He's maintained a home in Kelowna since his playing days, and the couple are raising two daughters in the city.

"I was able to start my career in Kelowna and I've lived here ever since," he said. "It might sound corny but it's a dream come true, for me and my family too."

Rockets new assistant coach Kris Mallette is interviewed by reporter Kevin Parnell

Part 1

http://www.kelownarockets.com/video/38201

Part 2

http://www.kelownarockets.com/video/38204

For more on today's announcement check out, Kelowna Rockets play by play Regan Bartel's Rockets blog

http://reganbartel.blogspot.ca/

Part 1

http://reganbartel.blogspot.ca/2014/07/mallette-named-assistant-coach.html

Part 2

http://reganbartel.blogspot.ca/2014/07/kris-mallette-quotes.html

1 comment:

vipersdiehardfan said...

This is a huge loss for the Vipers! Mallette played a huge role in the Vipers turn around season last year after Vernon missed the playoffs back to back years the two previous seasons.

Mallette worked with the defence and it showed as Vernon's defence and defensive coverage was much better compared to the previous two seasons.

I heard nothing but great things about Kris from on and off the ice. Very well respected on and off the ice and loved by the fans and players.

A tough hole to fill for sure. Thanks for everything, all the best with the Rockets Kris