Friday, May 1, 2009

Gordon Steady In Support Role:

This is in the Morning Star Newspaper:

Gordon steady in support role

By Graeme Corbett - Vernon Morning Star
Published: April 30, 2009

Graeme Gordon hasn’t played a single minute of playoff hockey this season, yet the sacrifice he makes for the Vernon Vipers is undeniable.
Life as a backup netminder can be challenging at the best of times, but in the post-season, when teams typically stick with one keeper, staying game-ready becomes that much more difficult.
For Gordon, who turned 20 in April, it’s a sacrifice he’s willing to make as the Vipers gun for their fifth Royal Bank Cup championship, which starts Saturday in Victoria. The Snakes first game goes Sunday afternoon (2 p.m.) against the Eastern champion Summerside Western Capitals.
“It’s definitely difficult. I’ve never really been a backup before, and it’s been a long time since I’ve gotten to play a game,” said Gordon, a North Vancouver product who went 14-4 with two shutouts in 19 regular-season games with the Vipers.
“I like to see Hammy (netminder Andrew Hammond) succeed, and I’m really happy for him getting a scholarship and the way he’s playing.
“We’re both up there for goaltenders in the league, and we get along really well too... he’s probably the best partner I’ve had in my goaltending career.”
If anything, having Hammond around has forced Gordon to work harder for his opportunities, and he says they are both better for it.
So are the Vipers, who pocketed the B.C. Hockey League’s Best Goaltending Duo award.
“It’s definitely made me work harder in practice,” said Gordon. “I knew him (Hammond) previously from when we trained together in the summer... and I knew he was a good goalie, so I knew I’d have to elevate my game to get some starts. I think he felt the same way.
“It’s worth it because I’ll get my shot next year. We’ve got a lot of guys coming back next year, and hopefully we can make another run like this.”
Gordon, who the Vipers acquired from the Merritt Centenials in October, isn’t about to let up on his teammates in practice.
“I don’t just want to be a Shooter Tutor for the guys, I want to make them work hard to score. It’s kind of like a game just to help them improve their shots... just to make the team better.
“I like to think of myself as a pretty good bullpen reliever, but I haven’t played a game in two months, so it’s definitely a tough position to go in there.”
Vipers’ goalie coach Sean Matile, a former journeyman minor league netminder, knows what it’s like to be in Gordon’s position.
“Especially in playoffs, being a backup goalie is probably almost as tough mentally as being the starting goalie because no matter what, you’ve got to make sure you’re ready.
“If he ends up playing in a game, I think that could be one of the toughest jobs in pro sports.”
Hammond, who has also spent time in the caddy role, has nothing but praise for Gordon.
“I had that a little bit last year... it’s not fun, but you put in your work and your time, and eventually you’ll catch a break.
“He’s (Gordon) done pretty much the best you can do with it. He’s been unbelievably supportive of me.”
Gordon isn’t the only Viper on the outside looking in. Rookie defencemen Nick Amies and Steve Weinstein have also seen limited post-season duty. They also support the team any way they can.
“Everyone has a role on the team,” said Amies, who, for a 16-year-old, has spouted an impressive playoff beard. “And maybe it’s not the funnest at times, but it’s going to be a good experience.
“I think I made the right choice coming here. It was either this or junior B, and I think I’ve developed and made some strides this season.
“Your goal is to make other guys better too, make sure they’re practising hard.”

No comments: