Monday, June 7, 2010

“Ikky” Savours Viper Success:

This is posted on the Vipers website:

“Ikky” savours Viper success

by Don Klepp Added 2010-06-07

When Cole Ikkala first arrived in Vernon, he had to pay his dues, often watching games from the press box. The Viper forward lines were stacked with talent, so the cerebral Philadelphia resident had to bide his time. When his time came, he took full advantage, and he’s been in the lineup ever since.

Last year, in part-time duty, he put up 17 points in the regular season and another 3 in the post season. This year, he came alive with 31 goals and 25 assists while playing as a power forward on three different lines. His goal against Dauphin in this year’s RBC final blew that game wide open.

Even though his ice time was limited last year, he says that “it was special playing with my brother Cody. That had happened only once before, for one year of AAA midget in Colorado.”

He admits that he had “a major adjustment to make last year. Previously, I’d always been on the first line. Fighting for a spot was a form of adversity, but I wanted to stay here. I knew it would be worth it, and it was. Two national championships in two years; what more could you want?”

The well-travelled Philadelphian had no difficulty adjusting to life in Vernon. “My dad is a manager with a big company, so we moved a lot. I was born in Colorado, started skating while in California, moved back to Colorado, and then to Alaska, where I played on a team with Kory Roy, actually. Then we went back to Denver and finally moved to Philadelphia four years ago. The TSN announcer said I was from California, and I guess there’s a little bit of truth in that.”

As a player, Cole compares himself to the Washington Capitals’ Brooks Laich. “I even got the nickname ‘Brooksie’ this year,” he chuckles. “I play power forward like him – cycle down low, hit the D, battle for pucks, go hard to the net.”

Goalies such as Powell River’s Josh Watson, Penticton’s Sean Bonar, and Dauphin’s Joe Caligiuri will attest to Cole’s physical presence. “Yeah, I guess I fell on Caligiuri once or twice, and maybe on some others, too. Accidents happen!”

One goalie who reacted particularly vehemently to Cole’s crease presence was Westside’s Kevin Jebson, who high-sticked Cole for several stitches in a game in Westside, drawing a four-minute penalty. “The guys didn’t help me out by scoring on the guy, but that’s the way it goes sometimes,” Coles notes wryly.

Actually, Cole received several facial cuts this year, most of them around his lips or inside his mouth. “I guess that’s the price you pay when you hang around the net,” he notes.

Cole Ikkala has been much more welcome in the community, as he has volunteered for a wide variety of activities. He’s been involved in such charity events as the Terry Fox run, Wendy’s Dreamlift, a Home Depot event, and a fundraiser for the Boys and Girls Club. He’s read for kids at local schools; he’s been involved in Christmas carolling and the Coldstream Light Up; he even helped build the Olympic stage for the celebration surrounding the Olympic Torch Relay.

Not surprisingly, Cole has been drawn to study medicine. He certainly has the smarts, earning 96% in a university writing course this year and 98% in a college algebra course.

He’s especially interested in sports medicine, which goes at least as far back as Grade 12 when he engaged in a 40-hour placement with a sports orthopaedics physician in Philadelphia. “He even took me into the operating room a couple of times,” enthuses Cole. “I realized I had a career choice that really suits me.”

One day, he hopes to accept Dr. Gavin Smart’s offer of interning here in the valley. “That would be awesome,” says Cole. “And no doubt about it, I could see myself living and practising medicine in this part of the world when I graduate.”

In the meantime, Cole will study Biological Sciences and Biomedical Sciences at Union College, where he has an athletic scholarship. He describes Union as “a small college, about 3,000 students, with very good academics and a strong hockey program. I would have been happy to return for a third season with the Vipers, but this was too good an offer to pass up.”

No comments: