Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Holt The Hero In Vipers' Shootout Win:

This is in todays Vernon Morning Star Newspaper:

Holt the hero in Vipers' shootout win

Morning Star Staff

Nov. 6, 2019        Local Sports

Five out of six weekend points. Nine out of a possible 12 points halfway through their longest road swing of the season.

Vernon Vipers wrapped up a second straight three games in three days B.C. Hockey League weekend Sunday afternoon with a 3-2 shootout win over the Eagles in Surrey.

Vernon beat Victoria 5-2 Friday and fell 4-3 in overtime to the Cowichan Valley Capitals in Duncan Saturday to improve to 4-1-1-0 in the first six games of the trip.

Dawson Holt was the only shooter to score in the shootout, beating Eagles goalie Thomas Scarfone in the third round to give Vernon two points. Scarfone made 33 saves in regulation time.

Reilly Herbst stopped 25 shots in regulation time and denied Surrey shooters Wyatt Schlaht, Cristophe Tellier and Holden Katzalay in the shootout.

Tellier forced overtime with a goal 39 seconds into the third period. Defenceman Landon Fuller and forward Connor Marritt scored for Vernon, who held a pair of one-goal leads for the second straight contest.

The win vaulted the Snakes (12-7-1-0) into fourth place in the Interior Division, one point ahead of the Wenatchee Wild, and four points behind the third-place Trail Smoke Eaters.

The Vipers get back on the bus for a doubleheader in Trail Friday and Saturday. Game 9 of the 11-game swing is a Wednesday night affair in Prince George, Nov. 13, against the Spruce Kings, a rematch of last year’s BCHL Fred Page Cup final (won by the Spruce Kings in four games).

Vernon will complete its marathon road session with games in Langley Friday, Nov. 15, and Coquitlam Saturday, Nov. 16, before returning home to face the Salmon Arm Silverbacks Friday, Nov. 22, on First Responders Night at Kal Tire Place.

SNAKE BITES: The Vipers acquired goalie James Porter from the Kelowna Rockets. Porter will join Herbst and the Vipers for the twinbill in Trail this weekend. Vernon goalie Max Palaga is still out with a lower body injury with no timetable for his return…Former Vipers captain Jagger Williamson broke his leg in two places in his pro hockey debut with the expansion Columbus (Georgia) River Dragons of the 10-team Federal Hockey league. Williamson was injured midway through the third period of the club’s season opener, a 5-2 win over fellow expansion team Delaware Thunder, when he fell awkwardly while taking a hit. The Lumby native will be out indefinitely.

9 comments:

vipersdiehardfan said...

The Morning Star's lack luster coverage on the Vipers is a joke. The local newspaper finally decides to write an article on the Vipers in todays paper. In the last five newspapers there have only been two writeups on the Vipers. One a week ago in Wednesdays paper and then today. After beating Trail at home in there last home game October 19th, the Vipers have played six games all on the road and the paper decides only to cover three of the six games and no mention of acquiring Dawson Holt. Very poor coverage on the Vipers. I have wondered why Vernon's Castanet doesn't cover the Vipers? Penticton's Castanet does a great job at covering the Vees from game to game.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the new owner has to grease the palm of the morning star as nothing happens without money dude

Unknown said...

Who cares.... the morning star is dead. Only seniors read it and the odd person still living in a cave who has no internet. It only gets published 2x week now as well.
Wouldn't you rather people read your blog instead for their vipers updates?
While I'm on a rant, it would be helpful if you posted the score on here immediately after the game is over. I usually have to check a different website to get a score as your recaps sometimes aren't posted till hours after the game.
Just a suggestion to keep and get more traffic to your blog.

Bob McInnes said...

The Castanet coverage is maybe the result of the Penticton reporter(s) being hockey fans. And in West Kelowna the Castanet reporter is also a Wk Warrior PR guy. In Vernon, I don't think that they are hockey fans. Castanet is not a heavily assignment driven news organization and they just don't have anyone specifically assigned to cover the team and the Vipers just aren't a priority to the Vernon office.

The Morning Star? It's become a vehicle for wrapping around the fliers. It's been a long way down. Vipers Diehard Fan is about as good as it's going to be. We'll have to rely on ourselves, I guess, for news and so.........

NEW SUBJECT: I heard from a reliable source that the Max Palaga injury is far more serious. It's believed that we won't see him again until well after the Christmas break.

Bobby C said...

This is for Unknown.. if you are that impatient turn your radio on or get the BCHL app and you will have Vipers scores immediately. VDF is the #1 BCHL blog with the most information and coverage you will find anywhere. So be patient and enjoy everything this site has to offer

Unknown said...

For Bobby C....I do enjoy this blog, I come here daily. Just making some suggestions for improving traffic here as I believe the potential is untapped.
If I'm checking elsewhere for a score, I don't really have much of a need to be here then afterwards do I? Luckily for me I enjoy reading the description of the games, but not everyone does.
Another suggestion I might make is having comments not have to pend approval. It would be nice to have a conversation in real time with others such as yourself without having to wait hours for them to appear.
Ya I probably sound impatient, but that's what the digital age is turning into... now, now, now.
VDHF will do what he wants... just making suggestions as he has stated before he enjoys feedback.
I'll still come here to read updates on the boys. I've followed the vipers for years as I used to billet some of them. This is the best place to find updates and recaps I agree

vipersdiehardfan said...

Thank you to everyone for the comments and ideas. Please keep them coming. I will look into them for sure. The reason why I don't allow comments to be posted immediately, is due to spam or comments with foul language, or complete nonsense/nothing to do with the Vipers or hockey. It doesn't happen often but I do get spam and the odd comment I wont post. When I first started this blog, I would get a lot of spam/adds from foreign countries, but not nearly as much now. About two weeks ago I had at least five or six comments everyday for at least four or five days with non appropriate language and rude names, I was forced to delet and not publish. I try my best at posting comments as soon as possible.

I really appreciate all comments and ideas,

Thank you to everyone for your comments and visiting my blog

crazy b said...

some kind of live chat for during games would be awesome

vipersdiehardfan said...

I'm sorry there is no option on blogger for any kind of live chat. Years ago I use to have polls on my blog. On game day I would have a poll on who would win and have different polls on recent trades, team news etc but blogger has gotten rid of the polls gadget.

I enjoy all comments and any kind of thought's/or ideas for the blog.

Thank you