Thursday, July 4, 2019

BCHL News & Trades:

I found these press releases off team websites, twitter accounts, blogs or online. All Vipers news-trades are posted on this blog as soon as released-announced.

BCHL News & Trades:

Veri Commits To Chilliwack Chiefs:

The Chilliwack Chiefs have gone back to Michigan for the next member of the 2019-20 Chilliwack Chiefs with the commitment of Jake Veri. Listed at 5’8″ and 156lbs, Jake is a dynamic skater who possesses unbelievable hands and vision. This past season, he played for the Detroit Compuware U18, where he put up impressive totals and was a consistent offensive threat. A 2018 draft pick of the USHL’s Tri-City Storm, Veri was initially offered a roster spot by the Chiefs after completing a very impressive weekend at the Invitational Spring Camp in Chilliwack back in May. Veri, from Northville Michigan is a player that the Chiefs have been watching for quite some time thanks to Michigan area scout Sean Coffman- who had been one of Jake’s coaches at the prestigious Compuware program last season. “Jake’s ability with the puck is pretty special. He is a player that can make something out of nothing, and his willingness to go to hard areas despite his size is one of his greatest qualities. Sean let us know about Jake early in the season, and watching him play we were consistently impressed with how the puck just seems to find him on the ice. He will be a great addition to our forward group this season.” said Chiefs Head Coach and GM Brian Maloney. Veri will report to camp with his new teammates in late August.

BCHL Announces 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule:

The BCHL has finalized and published its schedule for the 2019-20 regular season, with the exception of the BCHL Showcase Festival presented by Bauer which is set for Oct. 2 to 5.

To view the entire league schedule, click here.

Opening night for the regular season is Friday, Sept. 6 and it will conclude on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020. “We are excited for what the 2019-20 season has in store for our 17 clubs,” said Steven Cocker, BCHL Executive Director, Competition and Events. “As we saw at the NHL Draft last week, it’s an exciting time to be involved in the BCHL. Now with the schedule in place, we can all start looking ahead to what is sure to be another great season” Some highlights of this year’s regular season include:

  • Sunday, Sept 8: Chilliwack Chiefs at Langley Rivermen – A rematch of the first round of the 2019 playoffs where the Chiefs came back from down 3-0 in the series to win in seven games.
  • Saturday, Sept. 21: Penticton Vees at Cowichan Valley Capitals – The first time the teams will play since the Capitals upset the Vees in the first round of the 2019 playoffs.
  • Saturday, Sept. 28: Powell River Kings at Victoria Grizzlies – One of the fiercest rivalries in the BCHL and the first meeting since Victoria beat Powell River in Game 7 of the Island Division Finals.
  • Friday, Oct. 18: Vernon Vipers at Penticton Vees – Another one of the biggest rivalries in the league, these teams meet for the first of six matchups this season.
  • Friday, Nov. 13: Vernon Vipers at Prince George Spruce Kings – A rematch of the 2019 Fred Page Cup Finals, won by Prince George in four games.

All regular-season and playoff games will once again be carried on the BCHL’s HockeyTV pay-per-view site. The league will announce the schedule and locations for the BCHL Showcase Festival presented by Bauer later this week.

BCHL Re-Launches Showcase Event For 2019:

The BCHL has announced the re-launch of their signature Showcase event by introducing the 2019 BCHL Showcase Festival presented by Bauer from Oct. 2 to 5. The league has introduced several changes to the event with the goal of increasing its profile going forward.

These changes include:

  • The creation of a Festival event to celebrate the official puck-drop to the hockey season in B.C. The event will now be called the BCHL Showcase Festival presented by Bauer.
  • The addition of a second venue as Penticton will host the league’s Interior teams for NCAA and NHL scouts while Chilliwack takes its traditional role hosting the Lower Mainland and Island BCHL teams.
  • A BC Hockey Festival in Penticton, which will include other levels of hockey in B.C. outside of Junior A as well as several fan interaction areas to celebrate our great game.
  • A partnership with BC Hockey who will work with the league to increase the reach of the event, including the participation of minor hockey programs from across the province.

The Showcase schedule will begin at Prospera Centre in Chilliwack with games on Oct. 2 and 3 and will shift venues for the weekend action at South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton on Oct. 4 and 5.

“Our Showcase has grown in stature since its inception in 2012 thanks to the great work done in Chilliwack and we feel the time is right to add another few layers to the proceedings,” said BCHL commissioner Chris Hebb. “From now on, the Showcase is going to be a marquee event to signify the beginning of the hockey season in our province.” The BCHL is pleased to have Bauer back as the presenting sponsor of the Showcase. The league also looks forward to working with our other BCHL sponsors on this unique event. BC Hockey, the governing body of amateur hockey in British Columbia and the Yukon, will also be a key partner for the event. “We are looking forward to the opportunity to share in expanding this celebration of amateur hockey in B.C.” said BC Hockey CEO Barry Petrachenko. “October is a perfect timeframe to celebrate our game and to capture the excitement that is generated by the start of a new season.” As usual, every BCHL team will play two games that count in their standings over the four-day event. Past Showcase participants include current NHL players Troy Stecher, Danton Heinen, Dennis Cholowski, Dante Fabbro, Devon Toews and Tyson Jost.

Express Name Cooper Captain:

The Express are excited and proud to announce a strong core of our leadership group today. Defenceman Drew Cooper from Ann Arbor, MI, has been named the 22nd captain in Coquitlam Express history. The  blueliner appeared in 45 games last season and earned the Most Improved Player Award at the end of the year. Drew is a hard working, physical player with an offensive game to match. Alternate captains will be Josh Wildauer and Connor Gregga. 3rd year veteran Joshua Wildauer from Dearborn Heights, MI and is committed to the Lake Superior State University NCAA Div. I program. Josh was part of our leadership group last season and was loved by all fans and teammates, for his energetic style of play. Last season Josh was voted by his teammates and hockey staff as the Team MVP in the Regular Season. Connor Gregga from Markham, ON and is committed to the Minnesota State University NCAA Div. I  program. Connor  quickly became a fan favourite last season as he won the Express Rookie of the Year award with his high tempo, physical game. Coach Jason Fortier had this to say when asked about this group: “I am thrilled to announce this core of guys as leaders early in our off season. We had a very good group last year and our leadership did a great job. We will be adding a third alternate captain after training camp, but we believe in these returning guys and truly feel like they will do an outstanding job. After speaking to most of the players from last season, to a man they felt these 3 guys have the right character and leadership qualities. Our culture of what it means to be a part of the Express is important to our group and we believe that today is an affirmation of building with our culture in mind. Drew Cooper is a warrior with offensive talent and is respected on and off the ice by anyone who has watched or met him. Having Josh and Connor to assist Drew was an easy decision. They are more vocal personalities and respected by everyone. The work ethic, the attitude of being a good teammate and passion to be successful is something these guys exude. It takes a selfless person to be a leader, we believe that these guys have that quality and I’m proud to announce this today.”

Summer With The Smokies: Philippe Lapointe

One of the most highly touted free agents to recruit this summer came in the way of forward Philippe Lapointe, who became available after the United States Hockey League’s Central Illinois Flying Aces folded. There were many suitors for the 5’11”, 194-pound two-way forward and some of the biggest reasons the University of Michigan commit chose Trail was to do with how passionate the city is about hockey, the way the organization is run and the man behind the bench. “The biggest aspect for me when looking at a team was the investment in the coach and (Jeff) Tambellini really believes in me and we had a good connection when we first met and said things that really caught my attention. I think the biggest thing is that relationship between a coach and a player and having that communication to help develop my game as best as possible and it felt like a perfect fit for me.” “Trail is the perfect, small hockey town that cares a lot about this team and was a big reason in why I chose to come there. With the owner there in Rich Murphy, the facility has everything a player needs to succeed and bring a championship to Trail.” Upon committing to the Smoke Eaters for the 2019/20 season, the Hinsdale, Illinois native was appointed team Captain by General Manager and Head Coach Jeff Tambellini, a challenge that Lapointe is looking forward to facing, “It’s going to be a transition for me and having returning guys like Tyler Ghirardosi and Kent Johnson, amongst others, coming back will make that transition easier for me and knowing the culture around the team. “In my conversations with (Coach) Tambellini, I have a good idea of that winning culture that we want to bring into the locker room and having those guys from last season will help establish that as well.” Lapointe spent the 2018/19 season with a pair of teams in the USHL, beginning his campaign with the Lincoln Stars before being traded to Central Illinois and was able to amass 10 goals and 19 assists for 29 points in his time with the Flying Aces, including 50 penalty minutes. It was season that, for Lapointe, will always be one he will remember, “It was tough getting traded from Lincoln but hockey is a business and I fully understand that. The Stars were great to me and I had a lot of connections with that team that I will keep for a long time.” “Once I got to Central Illinois, I was able to get comfortable with the systems and play a lot of minutes and elevate my play and production with the help of my teammates, who made the transition for me that much easier, especially being traded for the first time in my career. It was a good fit for me and I was happy with my own personal play and it was a fun year with those guys and I made a lot of connections.” When the name Lapointe is brought up in hockey, it is one that garners plenty of attention and for very good reason. Martin Lapointe played in 991 career NHL games including winning back-to-back Stanley Cups with the Detroit Red Wings and played a big part in helping his son chose Trail as a destination to play, “He’s always been a role model for me, looking up to him throughout my career and when he played. This process was a stressful one for me, trying to figure out where to play and he was nothing but supportive in my decision in picking Trail and is really excited for me along with my whole family.” There is very little time for rest in the offseason with the amount of work that players put in to keep themselves in shape and prepared for the rigors of the upcoming season. Lapointe is no exception to that, working with trainer Ian Mack in the city of Chicago and training with pro players is a good measuring stick for the 19-year-old, “I’m in the gym about five or six days a week working on not just getting stronger but also my mobility and stability, making sure my body is prepared for a long season because that is what I want to bring to Trail.” The NHL Entry Draft takes place at the end of the week was ranked as the #242 skater and could hear his name called in Vancouver. Lapointe has some experience in dealing with NHL clubs, playing in the Pittsburgh Penguins development camp a summer ago, “It was a great learning experience and having the chance to make some new connections with people. “It was good to take in everything from an NHL organization and the Penguins did an outstanding job at displaying what they do day in and day out and it was an exciting experience to be a part of.” Lapointe and the rest of the Smoke Eaters will be in Trail for the team’s Main Camp at the end of August.

2019-20 Penticton Vees Spotlight: Scott Gilowski

When anyone talks about Scott Gilowski, the word big comes to mind. The 16-year-old defenceman made big strides in his game this past season, has big expectations of himself and, yes, he’s very big. “I’ve been constantly growing but over the past few years it’s been getting to 6’3’’, 6’4’’,” Gilowski recalled. “I think it was around last summer I got to 6’6’’ and I haven’t really grown since then.” He may have reached his max height already, but his passion for the game has grown each and every day since he first laced up his skates at just a few years old. He credits his dad with helping him discover his love for hockey at such a young age. “I just remember my dad in the room tying my skates and we’d always go out on the ice,” he said. “I wasn’t very good, but I always loved getting out there. Feeling the wind on your face was always kind of relaxing to me. I always loved shooting the puck and breaking a sweat right from when I was a little kid.” While he began playing hockey as a forward in Armstrong, it wasn’t long before he made the switch to defence because he was one of the better backwards skaters on his team. After moving to Vernon to continue his minor hockey, it came apparent Gilowski needed a bigger challenge. The Okanagan Hockey Academy in Penticton was his next destination. “My billets welcomed me with open arms, and it wasn’t too far away from home,” Gilowski said. “It was definitely a big step in my career, but I think it was more about getting my feet wet and playing in a higher-level league.” Gilowksi had an effective, albeit injury-hampered season with OHA; he scored three times and added 12 assists in 25 games but was hindered by an injury over the second half of the year. “It started in January and was just a chronic injury from then on,” he said. “I finally got an MRI and it ended up being an avulsion fracture in my pelvis, a torn hamstring and torn adductors. Pretty much every time I walked or went upstairs I felt it, so it was pretty limiting in how I could play but it taught me how to work through injuries.” Despite the injury, Gilowski was drafted in the seventh round of the Western Hockey League Bantam Draft by the Prince George Cougars, but says he never considered playing in the WHL. “I’ve always been an NCAA guy,” he stated. “I’ve always liked the thought of going to school in the States and being able to play hockey for longer and prolonging my development for as long as I could, until I’m around 24 years old.” After one season in Penticton, the coach of the Okanagan Rockets Major Midget program approached Gilowski’s family asking if he had interest in trying out for the team. The Rockets have a penchant for developing junior hockey players, with Tyson Jost being their most recognizable alum, so it seemed like a no-brainer for Gilowski to make the switch to the BCMML. “I think my two years with the Rockets were my two biggest years development wise,” Gilowski said. “The environment there was really great and really professional. It was a big step for me, but it was great to play at that level. I really pushed myself my first year and never felt like I had to hold myself back because my teammates were so welcoming.” Not expected to produce offence, Gilowski chipped in three goals and seven assists over the 40-game season while focusing more on a defensive role. Considering his size, strength and reach, Gilowski was trusted by his coaches over the past two years to match up against opposing teams’ top players. A role he relishes. “You look at me compared to other defenceman in our league and some guys are putting up 30 or 40 points,” he said. “My job was to shut down the top guys in the league. I’d always be matching against guys like Logan Stankoven and I take a lot more pride in being a shutdown defenceman as opposed to being on the ice every time we scored.” Stankoven led the BCMML in scoring, breaking Jost’s goal-scoring record with 49 goals during the 2018-19 season. Gilowski stepped into a bigger role in his second season with the Rockets, scoring twice and adding 14 assists in 34 games. He was also named an assistant captain, something he feels he could do with other teams as his career progresses. “I’ve always loved being a leader and trying to influence other players to do great things,” he said. “Just being there for people on a more personal level or helping them out in any way I can, I’ve always really loved doing that for other guys.” He also had the chance to affiliate with the Vees for a handful of games last season, and after spending a year in Penticton and seeing Vees games for himself, he knew it was an offer he couldn’t pass up. “I was totally stoked when I got that opportunity,” Gilowski said. “My first game was the Pink in the Rink game, so it was just a packed arena. I was really nervous in the room the whole time, but as soon as you get out to the ice and the smoke machine is going, the crowd is loud, and the music is going it all goes away. Adrenaline just takes over after that.” The Vees went on to win that game 4-1 against the Victoria Grizzlies in front of 4,256 fans November 17. Gilowski would play two more games with the Vees last year, November 21 against Surrey and December 14 against Trail. Being from Vernon, the irony of playing for the Vipers biggest rival is not lost on Gilowski. “I’ve always loved watching those two teams play against each other,” Gilowski said. “I remember a few of my first games I watched while living in Penticton were against Vernon. There was lots of energy in the rink and I’m looking forward to that rivalry.” After making a successful jump from Bantam to Midget, Gilowski hopes to do the same from Midget to the BCHL. “I just want to get the most out of my development,” he said. “It’s my last year playing hockey while going to high school so I front-loaded my courses. I really want to develop as much as I can under Fred.” Gilowski hopes to join a long list of defenceman who have come through Penticton and seen success at the NCAA level, and beyond.

Cavallini Commits To Nanaimo Clippers:

The Nanaimo Clippers Junior A Hockey Club is excited to announce the commitment of West Vancouver Native Cade Cavallini. Cavallini, a 2000 born forward has played the last two seasons with the West Vancouver Academy Prep in the CSSHL tallied a total of 84 points in 70 games, while also suiting up for the Chilliwack Chiefs in two games last season scoring two goals. “What I liked about Cavallini when first seeing him is that he is a good size forward who can move the puck well” Head Coach of the Nanaimo Clippers Darren Naylor said “He can put up points, while still playing a good 200 foot hockey game.” Prior to Cavallini’s time with West Vancouver Academy he spent four years with the Oakland Jr. Grizzlies Programs from 2013 to 2017, two seasons with Bantam Major AAA, one season with U15 and one season with U16’s. “I choose Nanaimo because it seems like a great organization that’s on the rise, and it isn’t too far from my home of West Vancouver” Cade Cavallini said “my goal is to get a championship with Nanaimo and furthermore get an NCAA Division 1 scholarship and hopefully make it to the NHL.” He will join the rest of the Nanaimo Clippers for Main Camp which begins on August 19th.

The Costs Of Running A Junior A Hockey Team:

If you’re wondering about the costs of operating a junior A hockey team, consider this from Michael Reeve of radio station Q101.1 from the AGM of the BCHL’s Merritt Centennials. “Beth Nadeau, the team’s treasurer, provided an update on last (season’s) financials. While the team’s expenses came in at approximately the same amount as last (season), this (season’s) revenue was down close to $23,000. All of that resulted in the team losing $95,644.68 last (season), up from a loss of $75,329.99 the season before.”

McAllister Commits To Spruce Kings:

The Prince George Spruce Kings are pleased to announce the commitment of Forward Ryan McAllister (01) from the Komoka Kings of the GOJHL. McAllister, a 5’10”, 175 pound native of London, Ontario, put up 11 goals and 26 assists in 47 games between Komoka and London (GOJHL) last season. He added 4 goals and 4 assists in 12 playoff games. He is committed to Western Michigan University (NCAA) to play for the Broncos.

No comments: