Sunday, June 23, 2019

BCHL News & Trades:

I found these press releases off team websites, twitter accounts, blogs or online. All Vipers news-trades are posted on this blog as soon as released-announced.

BCHL News & Trades:

O'Brien Commits To Vees:

The Penticton Vees announced today that 1999-born forward Jay O’Brien has committed to the Vees for the 2019-20 season. He was the 19th overall pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft by the Philadelphia Flyers. O’Brien, from Hingham, Massachusetts, comes to Penticton after spending the 2018-19 season with the Providence Friars in the NCAA. Prior to heading to the NCAA, O’Brien was named the United States High School Hockey All-USA Player of the Year after his senior season at Thayer Academy in Braintree, Massachusetts. In 30 games that year, O’Brien scored 43 goals and added 37 assists for 80 points. The Flyers selected him in the draft after that season.  In four years of prep hockey, split between Thayer Academy and Dexter School in Brookline, Massachusetts, O’Brien scored 86 goals and 102 assists in 120 games. This past year, O’Brien was a member of Team USA at the World Junior Championships in Vancouver and Victoria helping Team USA to a silver medal. The 5’11’’, right-shot centre will spend his 20-year-old season with the Vees before returning to the NCAA ranks in 2020-21.

Silverbacks Name St. Jacques New Trainer:

The Salmon Arm Silverbacks are excited to announce Brodie St. Jacques has been hired as the hockey club’s trainer for the 2019-20 BCHL season. St. Jacques brings plenty of experience to the role, most recently as the head athletic trainer and equipment manager for two years with the Northern Alberta Xtreme academies four elite prep teams that compete in in the Canadian Sport School Hockey League (CSSHL). For the past two seasons, he has also helped out with the WHL’s Edmonton Oil Kings on game days and filled in as a trainer for the Spruce Grove Saints in the AJHL during the 2018-19 season. “With adding Brodie to our hockey operations, we feel we gained an experienced and hard working individual that will fit in great with our staff,” Silverbacks Operations Manager Brooks Christensen said. “We look forward to having Brodie here for the start of the season and welcoming him to our great community.” The Edmonton, Alta. native is a graduate of Red Deer College, where he received a diploma in kinesiology, and a graduate of Makami College, where he studied massage therapy. While studying, he played Junior B hockey for four years — two with the Strathcona Bruins and two with the North Edmonton Red Wings. St. Jacques was also an equipment manager with Team Alberta for the 2017 National Women’s Under-18 Championship in Quebec City and was the trainer for Team Canada’s U-18 ball hockey squad at the 2018 International Street & Ball Hockey Federation (ISBHF) World Junior Championships in St. John’s, Newfoundland. Once the 26-year-old talked with Christensen and head coach and general manager Scott Atkinson, he said it seemed like the perfect fit. “Everything they wanted from me was what I wanted to do, so I couldn’t go wrong,” St. Jacques said. “I want to thank the entire Silverbacks organization for this opportunity to work for such a fantastic hockey team and hockey community. I look forward to working day to day with elite hockey players as well as the staff, sharing the same passion for hockey that I have.” The Silverbacks would like to welcome Brodie to the organization.

Nanaimo-Brantford Trade:

The Nanaimo Clippers Junior A Hockey Club announced that they have acquired Trevor LeDonne from the Brantford 99ers in exchange for Jonathan Stein and future considerations. LeDonne, who is a 2000 born defenseman from Stoney Creek, Ontario, was third in scoring on his team, and top 10 in scoring for defensemen in the Ontario Junior Hockey League with 35 points in 47 games, 12 goals and 23 assist.  LeDonne also represented Team Canada East at the World Junior A Challenge last year. “Acquiring LeDonne is large for us as he is a smart player who can put up points but still have a physical presence on the ice” mentioned Clippers, Head Coach Darren Naylor “He is going to fit right in with our current core of defensemen, and has skills that will fill some voids that we were looking to fill.” “I am honored to have the opportunity to play in the BCHL and be a part of the Nanaimo Clippers, a first class organization.”  said Trevor LeDonne “I also want to thank Brantford and their entire staff for all the opportunities they gave me over the past year.” LeDonne has major aspirations for the coming season which includes competing for a championship with the Clippers but also representing Team Canada West “I want to be a huge part of this Clippers team and help where I can, while continue to improve my game and get another chance at the World Junior A Challenge.” The Clippers would also like to thank Jonathan Stein for his commitment last season to the organization and wish him the best in the future.

Kern Commits To Powell River Kings:

The Powell River Kings are excited to announce that 2002-born, Ian Kern has committed for the 2019-2020 season. The 6’3, 194lb Vancouver product has spent the last two seasons with the Greater Vancouver Canadians in the BCMML, where he put up 22 points in 76 games. Kern enjoyed his time with GVC saying “They really helped me become a leader on the ice and off. They were great in helping me with my development to move forward in my career.” Fans would have seen Kern play in 4 regular season games last season with the Kings as an affiliate player and then played in games 6 and 7 against the Victoria Grizzlies in round two of the playoffs. It was partly due to our amazing fans that helped solidify Kerns decision on committing to play for the Kings, “When I was called up with the Kings, I loved it. The players and coaches were all awesome. After game 6 in Powell River against the Grizzlies, seeing just how awesome the fans were, it made me sure that the BCHL and Powell River was the way to go.” “Kern is another kid that works extremely hard and wants to get better,” says General Manager and Head Coach Tyler Kuntz, “He is a very smart young man who is far more physically developed at 17 than most players are.” “I’m a calm and steady defenceman, that can pitch in offensively when needed,” says Kern about his style of play, “I like to push myself in my training and get better every time I play.” Kern impressed Coach Kuntz in games 6 & 7 last season against the Grizzlies, “He had to step in and fill big shoes when we lost Jayden Lee and Ethan Martini due to injuries, I thought he did a wonderful job. I kept asking Brock to play him more, and that’s hard to do when you’re coming out of midget and you step into game 7 of the second round against a team that has skill and speed. “I think Kern is going to be a very good player on our team and in the league and it won’t take him very long to get there.” Kern will be busy training this summer, “It’s a lot of off-ice training, getting stronger, making sure I can keep up with the faster players. On ice, I will be working on my skills to make sure I am ready for the next season,” said Kern. Ian Kern will join his new teammates in Powell River starting August 19th for Main Camp.

Nanaimo-Surrey Trade:

The Nanaimo Clippers have announced that they have acquired the playing rights to 2000 born forward Liam Ryan from the Surrey Eagles in exchange for future considerations. Ryan, who played in 22 games for the Surrey Eagles in the 2018-2019 season, had five goals and four assists for nine points. Before heading to Surrey Eagles, Ryan played part of two years in the WHL for the Prince George Cougars after being drafted in the 7th round in the 2015 WHL bantam draft. At a younger age, Ryan played with the Burnaby Winter Club including at the famous Pee Wee Québec Tournament. He was a point a game player in the BC Major Midget League and made the U16 Team BC Program. Wes Mussio, owner of the Clippers noted: “Liam was a must-have player for our program as he had tremendous success while I was at the Burnaby Winter Club and I was much impressed with his skill level not to mention his effort. Throughout the time I have scouted Liam, he has been progressing so I am confident he will be a top-end BCHL player this year. He comes from a family of hockey pedigree as well which is always helpful.” Darren Naylor, the Clippers’ Head Coach, is similarly impressed with Ryan’s potential: “Ryan is a big forward that makes players around him better. We have been trying to secure his rights for some time and are very excited to have Liam join the team.” Ryan is expected to join the Clippers when Main Camp opens August 19 in Nanaimo.

Alberni Valley-Notre Dame Trade:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have completed a trade with the Notre Dame Hounds of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, acquiring the CJHL playing rights of 2000-born defenceman Tim Gould in return for the CJHL playing rights of 1999-born defenceman Marcus Walter and future considerations. Gould has spent two seasons with the Hounds after breaking into the SJHL with a 31-point season as a 17-year old. He suited up in 54 regular season games last season, scoring six goals and totaling 29 points. The 19-year old is a two-time invitee to Team Canada West’s evaluation camp for the World Junior A Challenge and he is committed to attend the University of Maine in the 2020/21 season. “We’re very happy to be able to add a quality veteran defenceman like Tim to our group,” says Bulldogs head coach Joe Martin. “With 111 games played at the Junior A level, Tim’s transition will be smoother than most, which will allow him to get on the ice and just play. He’s a good decision maker and a good skater who will be able to step right in and help our special teams.” “I’m very exited to join such a great organization and a group of coaches who I believe can develop my game and take it to the next level,” says Gould, who describes himself as a good two-way defender with offensive upside.  “I want to have a great season with the Bulldogs so that when I go to Maine next fall I’ll be able to step in and make an impact right away.” Headed the other way in the deal are future considerations as well as the CJHL playing rights to Marcus Walter, who is committed play NCAA Division I hockey at Bentley University this fall. Walter joined the Bulldogs in a trade last summer and made a big impact on the ice and in the dressing room, posting 16 points in 51 regular season games while being named the team’s captain in December. Gould will join his new teammates when the Bulldogs’ 2019 Main Camp opens at the Alberni Valley Multiplex on August 19.

Chilliwack-Sherwood Park Trade:

The Chilliwack Chiefs announced Monday that they have traded 20 year old defenseman Max Wutzke to the Sherwood Park Crusaders in exchange for future considerations. Last season, after being acquired late in the season from the Salmon Arm Silverbacks Max suited up in 17 regular season games for the Chiefs, totalling 1 assist and 14 PIMS while bringing a steady presence to the back-end. He also played 8 games in the BCHL playoffs for the Chiefs. Wutzke, from Calgary, Alberta, is a veteran of over 115 BCHL games.  “Max brought a great work ethic and professionalism with him to the Chiefs last season. He was a really solid veteran presence for our group of young defensemen, and was a great addition to our locker room down the stretch. We wish him all the best in Sherwood Park with the Crusaders.” said Associate Coach and Assistant GM Brad Rihela. 

Coquitlam-Prince George Trade:

We have acquired Vancouver native Tyler Schleppe from the Prince George Spruce Kings. Schleppe’s acquisition completes a previous trade. The former Burnaby Winter Club Bruin had 57 points in  33 games in the CSSHL Midget Prep league IN 2017/18, and chipped in 9 points in 51 games for BCHL champion Spruce Kings during his junior hockey rookie season this past year. Welcome aboard Tyler!

2019-20 Penticton Vees Spotlight: Yaniv Perets

Yaniv Perets always knew he wanted to be a goalie, he just needed to learn how to skate first. “When I was around three years old, I started playing street hockey and I was always in net,” Perets explained. “When I got started on ice, I was a player until I learned how to skate, then I kept volunteering as the goalie and it just stuck.” Perets says his parents were fully supportive of his decision to play in net, knowing how much he loved the game and being around the rink with his older brother all the time. As the years went on, Perets had the opportunity to play his first midget season for his hometown team, the Lac St. Louis Lions. “I lived about two minutes away from that rink, and that organization has pushed so many players to the next level,” Perets said. “It’s such a good program and I owe them so much for my development that season.” The Lions boast NHL alumni such as Jonathan Drouin and Anthony Duclair, as well as the 30thoverall pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, Joe Veleno. During the 2015-16 season, Perets appeared in 28 games for the Lions posting a 3.21 goals against average and an .890 save percentage. His goaltending partner, Sandro Silvestre, played five fewer games but posted nearly identical statistics. When playoffs rolled around, it was the 18-year-old Silvestre who was the starting goalie. “He played the year before and got them all the way to the finals,” Perets said. “I understood it, I knew I was a younger guy. I just wanted to come to practice every day and try to help my teammates get better.” After falling in the QMAAA finals the year before, the Lions got over the hump and won the championship that season, punching their ticket to the Midget AAA National Championship, the Telus Cup. The event was held in Quispamsis, New Brunswick, and Perets got into two games. He was perfect in both, shutting out the Saskatoon Contacts and the Saint John Vito’s in his two round robin starts. Despite having a clean slate over two games, it was again Silvestre getting the start in the semi-final game against the Vito’s, where the Lions fell 2-1. “It was such a surreal experience to be there,” Perets recalled. “I’m a competitor and I want to be in the net every game, but I kind of understand it. He was the goalie throughout the playoffs.” The Lions would claim bronze at the tournament with a 6-2 win over the Lloydminster Bobcats. Despite and excellent rookie season in the midget ranks, Perets didn’t hear his name called during the 2016 QMJHL Draft. That wasn’t a problem for him. “For me, it was always school. I made that clear to every team I spoke with,” Perets said. “Ever since day one I’ve wanted to play Division I hockey. I thought for my development it was a much better route to take. Even after my first year of junior I didn’t look to sign anywhere.” Perets made the jump to junior hockey after one season of midget, playing the 2016-17 season with the Brockville Braves of the Canadian Central Hockey League. Though based in Ontario, Brockville is just a short two-hour drive from his hometown of Dollard-des-Ormeaux. “I wanted to make that jump to junior hockey, and I think I made big strides in my game that season,” Perets said. “Even though I was the backup goalie, I learned a lot and got a decent amount of playing time as one of the youngest players in the league.” Perets posted an 8-8-1 record that season with the Braves, getting into 18 games of action. He was stuck behind Henry Johnson, a 20-year-old who would go on to be named the CCHL’s goalie of the year. The following season Perets returned to Brockville for his second season, but six games into the year had an opportunity to play in the United States. “The way things worked out I just wanted a different start,” Perets admitted. “I thought the Junior Bruins were a good program and I had a chance to go play there, so I just took it. I’m obviously really happy with what I did because that program got me my NCAA commitment.” The Boston Junior Bruins play in the National Collegiate Development Conference, a 13-team league located entirely within the Northeastern USA, with teams in places like Connecticut, New Jersey and Long Island. Upon arriving in Boston, Perets was the clear number one goaltender and helping the Bruins get to the league semi-final. “That was the idea of why I went down there, I wanted to play,” Perets said. “I was competing with some really good goalies but it was just a matter of going in and doing your job. If you show up, you’ll play and if you don’t, you won’t play. That’s what I really respected with the coaching staff.” The following season, Perets took his game to a new level, culminating with being named the NCDC’s top goalie. He went 23-10-1, had a 2.48 goals against average and a .929 save percentage to go along with six shutouts. The Bruins finished second overall in the league and would eventually claim the league championship. We always knew we had a good group up guys. Even if we were losing, we had that mindset that we were the team to beat,” he said. Early that season, Perets received his NCAA scholarship to Qunnipiac University, something that fueled him to play even better. “When I was uncommitted, I just went out and focused on myself and doing the best I could,” he explained. “After I got committed, I wanted to go out there and show why I was committed. Every time you step on the ice, you’re representing that school.” The playoff format in the NCDC is a best of three for each round, and after sweeping their opening round, the Bruins went to a deciding game three in the next two rounds. A win-or-go-home style of game can be nerve wracking for a player, but Perets says he was able to draw on previous big-game experience to help him prepare for those two game three’s. “I got some experience in playoffs the year before, and I work a lot on the mental side of my game,” he said. “Being calm and cool is something I work on a lot. I don’t always see it as an elimination game, I just go out and try to help my team win.” Perets also mentioned his experience at the Quebec Olympics as a 15-year-old, where he started four of five games and backstopped his team to a gold medal. In game three of the league final, the Junior Bruins had a 3-2 lead heading into the third period against the Connecticut Junior Rangers. The Bruins were outshot 18-7 over the final frame but held on for the win and the championship. “They were playing desperate hockey,” Perets said. “They were throwing pucks on net from everywhere and got a few power plays, but I just had to do my part and hold them off. We had done it all season long; it was just one more period to lock it down. It’s kind of crazy when you think about it. You work so hard over the summer, every practice and all season. It leads up to that moment and it makes everything so worth it.” Before he heads to Quinnipiac in the fall of 2020, Perets knew he had one more season of junior to prepare himself for the leap. And he knew exactly where he wanted to go. “I’ve always known about the Vees program, it’s the best organization in junior ‘A’ hockey,” Perets stated. “I always wanted to play there, and when I knew I had to play another season of junior I told myself I would love the opportunity to come play in Penticton.” He has clearly done his homework on the Vees, as Perets couldn’t be more excited to be joining the team. “I can’t even put into words how excited I am to come to Penticton and play for the Vees,” he said. “They average over 3,000 fans a game, the facilities are amazing and the whole town gets behind the team. It’s a first-class organization and I can’t wait to be a part of that tradition.” Perets cited wanting to join past goaltenders that have made their way through Penticton, especially Michael Garteig who also went to Qunnipiac University upon graduating from the Vees. After getting a taste of what it feels like to win a league championship this past year, Perets’ goals for 2019-20 are obvious. “It’s just to win again,” he said. “I’ve always wanted to play in the National Championship and I think Penticton has a great chance to get there. It’s always been a dream of mine to play for Team Canada at the World Junior ‘A’ Challenge as well. It’s my last year of junior, I want to enjoy it as much as I can. It’s just a matter of coming in every day and doing what you can to get better. If you do that, the rest will take care of itself.” Fans in Penticton hope the Vees can take care of business this year, and punch their ticket to the National Championship in Portage, Manitoba.

Wild Announce New Theme For 2019-20 Season:

The Wenatchee Wild are preparing for their twelfth season in the Wenatchee Valley, and fifth season in the BCHL. The team is releasing the following statement to proclaim their theme for the 2019-20 season. It all starts at the top. For the Wenatchee Wild, that’s our ownership. David and Lisa White have demonstrated a focus on providing staff and players the necessary tools to thrive and grow. Our Head Coach and General Manager Bliss Littler has high expectations from everyone in the organization and holds people accountable, but in a way that encourages and supports. The leadership sets the tone, and everything else falls in line. That’s our culture. The players are well aware of what it means to wear a Wild sweater. It’s an honor that carries responsibility, and it’s something they take to heart. When they arrive here, they are representatives of our brand, and of our community. They embrace that, and treat it with proper respect. Hotels and restaurants across the league have all remarked on how well-behaved and classy our teams are compared to others they’ve encountered. That’s our culture. It’s because we’re all united behind a single philosophy, and a single ideal. Whether it’s in our business dealings, on the ice, off the ice, or anything in between, there’s a way things are to be done. And that’s the theme we’ve chosen to celebrate for the 2019-20 season.

No comments: