Saturday, August 24, 2019

BCHL News & Trades:

I found these press releases off team websites, twitter accounts, blogs or online. All Vipers news-trades are posted on this blog as soon as released-announced.

BCHL News & Trades:

2019-20 Penticton Vees Spotlight: Steve Holtz

Growing up in Michigan, hockey was plentiful in the Wolverine State for defenseman Steve Holtz, though the minor hockey experience for the 20-year-old had it’s ups and downs, “Exciting, disappointing, sad, happy, I felt all the emotions in my experience with minor hockey in Michigan,” said Holtz, “There’s no shortage of teams throughout the state and they are all very strong.” Beginning his minor hockey career through the Compuware program based out of Plymouth, Michigan, Holtz went on to play for the Honeybaked Bantam Minor AAA team before experiencing his first setback in his hockey tenure. After being cut from each of the AAA teams he had tried out for at the Bantam Major level, Holtz played AA for a season before finding a spot with the Oakland Jr. Grizzlies U15 team. The next season, Holtz made an attempt to advance to the U16 level but was let go from every team he tried out for, “I know it’s not the best way of going about it but there was part of me that was debating quitting hockey after that point,” Holtz mentioned, “I was playing high school golf at the time and I was a really good golfer so I thought about hanging up the skates and almost starting pursuing that.” Instead of hitting the links, Steve hit the road and moved to Canada to join the Markham Majors, a team based in Markham, Ontario and owned by Holtz grandfather, Jerry Jacobs, and proved to be the right call, “I played in Markham for a season under Andre Darwell and Andrew Campoli, two really good coaches of mine who had a huge impact on my hockey career,” said Holtz, “I had a pretty solid year there and grew about 5 inches and gained 30 pounds before going back to Michigan to graduate with my buddies.” After joining the Compuware U18 team for his senior season in high school back in his home state, Holtz had a breakout season, “I think because I was playing hockey just to have fun,” the now 6’4″, 190-pound rearguard mentioned, “I wasn’t worried about making the jump to junior or having NCAA schools look at me, I was just having fun playing the game and that is when you play at your best.” “Ever since then, I’ve had really good luck in getting interest from NCAA schools and junior teams and that was my breakout year,” Holtz continued, “I’ve been doubted my whole career and I’ll probably be doubted again but I’m really happy about where I’ve come from and I think it’s a great story.” The White Lake, Michigan native continued his hockey path to join the Youngstown Phantoms of the United States Hockey League, where he played two seasons, getting into 58 games. “I had a great first year and felt a lot more confident and comfortable with the whole junior experience heading into my second season,” said Holtz, “I was comfortable with the coaching staff and my billet family and the second time around, things were a lot easier for me.” Coming out West to play the game will be a first for Holtz, who is looking forward to making his way to British Columbia for his final season of Junior ‘A’ hockey, “I was able to reach out to Coach (Fred) Harbinson and I had a bunch of questions on a notepad,” said Holtz, “The further I went down the list, the more I got excited about playing in Penticton and I knew that was the place I wanted to be.” There will be a familiar face for the right-handed shot defender when he gets to town as his teammate in Youngstown from a season ago, Tristan Amonte, will also suit up for Penticton this season, “It always helps having a guy you are familiar with already while getting to know the rest of your teammates. I actually spoke with him about coming out the Vees before making my decision and it will be helpful to have a guy in the locker room that you already know.” When it comes to his play on the ice, Holtz likes his movement as his best asset, “Skating is the best aspect of my game,” said Holtz, “I’d say I’m a puck moving defenseman and I get the puck out of the defensive zone as quick as possible. I think I’m dangerous with the puck as far as being poised and patient in making plays and picking my spots in joining the rush up ice.”

Silverbacks New Online Ticketing System:

For the first time ever, you can now buy Salmon Arm Silverbacks tickets from the comfort of your own home!
Thanks to the team’s new online ticketing system, getting your own tickets can be done in four easy steps.

1.     Head to Tickets.SASilverbacks.com and find the game you’d like to attend. Click ‘Find Tickets’ and either choose your seats or let the system choose for you (when picking your own seats, the white dots are available, while grey dots have already been taken).

2. Once your seats have been chosen, click ‘Next’ to proceed. Double check that the correct tickets have been chosen. Now, click ‘Continue’ and enter your email address. We need an email address in order for you to create an account. Your account is how you will securely download your tickets and receipts following your purchase. Once you’ve entered your email address, it’s now time to fill in your personal information.

3. Click ‘Continue.’ Now that you’ve created your account, you will be asked for your credit card information to process payment. Fill in the information and click ‘Purchase.’

4. To gain entry on game day, you can either print your tickets or simply present them on your phone. Either way, be sure to remember your account email and password! Only by signing in to your account can you access your tickets. If you would like to print your tickets, click the ‘My Account’ tab at the top left and then click ‘Orders and Tickets (tickets will not be emailed to you).

That’s it! If you ever need help with the online ticketing system, you can always fill out the online ‘contact us’ page with your specific inquiry or call the team office at 250-832-3856.

Partner Sues West Kelowna Warriors Owner:

More legal woes for the owner of the BC Hockey League's West Kelowna Warriors. Kim Dobranski's business partner, Xiaorong Liang has filed suit in BC Supreme Court, alleging breach of contract, and asking that a $300,000 investment in the team, plus other payments, be returned. The suit, filed earlier this week, comes just a month after former head coach Geoff Grimwood initiated a breach of contract lawsuit, seeking more than $29,000 in wages and interest. In her court filing, Liang says she agreed to purchase 30 per cent of shares in KD Sports, which owns and operates the Warriors, for $300,000 in August of last year. The agreement was around the time Dobranski took over ownership of the team from former owner Mark Cheyne. Liang claims the agreement between her and Dobrasnki also stipulated she would advance three separate shareholder's loans in the amount of $95,000 for KD Sports operations, a guarantee to the BCHL and for legal costs of the share purchase. In return, she claimed to have 50 per cent of decision-making power over the hiring and firing of the club's head coach. Liang contends she made attempts to learn employment problems related to Grimwood in August, but "Dobranski refused to to provide a factual explanation as to Mr. Grimwood's hiring and firing." She contends that refusal, and further attempts to obtain information that had spilled into the media, prevented her from exercising her 50 per cent decision-making power to resolve the issues. Liang believes the breach had a negative financial impact on KD Sports because of the coaching dispute. Further, she states inquiries to see financial information following complaints by some entities of outstanding payments, were not provided. Nor were requests for financial statements and monthly financial records. Liang says she demanded repayment of the shareholder's loan in July, but those have not been repaid. She is seeking a court order for a return of the $300,000 and the shareholder's loans, or an order for damages for breach of contract, including punitive and aggravated damages. Dobranski has 21 days to file a response. None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Spruce Kings Name Rowe New Trainer:

The Prince George Spruce Kings would like to welcome Dave Rowe as the new team Trainer for the 2019-2020 season. Rowe, from Brampton, Ontario has spent the last two seasons working in Junior A Hockey, including last year with the Grande Prairie Storm (AJHL) and the 2017/2018 season with the Melville Millionaires. GM Mike Hawes: “Dave will be a great addition to our group. He’s got experience at the junior level and is young and energetic. He’s also played hockey at a high level when he was younger so he can relate to hockey injuries and can understand the needs of today’s player.”

Johnson Commits To Eagles:

The Surrey Eagles are excited to announce that 2001-born forward Buddy Johnson has committed to the team for the upcoming 2019-20 BCHL season. Johnson, a White Rock native, comes to the Eagles from the Delta Hockey Academy where he has spent the majority of his minor hockey career. A proven goal-scorer, Johnson led his team last season with 22 goals in 32 games, finishing with 31 points. He later added 3 points in 3 playoff games. His 22 goals were good for 14th in the entire CSSHL, one spot lower than fellow Eagles commit Gabe Schovanek of the Pacific Coast Academy. Living in White Rock and committing to play for the local BCHL team holds a special meaning for Johnson, who grew up watching the Eagles and admiring former players. “Being a local guy, it makes things pretty exciting,” Johnson said in an interview with SurreyEagles.ca. “This has always been a dream of mine and I’m really looking forward to the season.” On top of being able to stay close to home, Johnson chose to play in Surrey because of the connection that he felt with new head coach Cam Keith – and also the exciting, young roster that Keith has built over the course of the summer. “When I first met [Cam Keith] I knew I could trust him and he seemed like a great coach,” Johnson said about his decision. “I’ve heard nothing but great things about him. I feel a lot of trust in the staff here. It just felt like a great place to develop, I felt very welcomed here.” Although he doesn’t know many of the other players on the team personally, he’s excited to meet his new teammates and get the season going. The rest of the summer will be spent preparing himself physically for the challenge of playing BCHL hockey. “I consider myself a 200-foot player. I like to be physical and be tough to play against. I’m definitely excited to play, but I know it’s going to be a lot faster. I’ve been working out every day and I’ve been running at the track a lot.” Other recent Delta Hockey Academy products to play for the Eagles include Brandon Santa Juana and Max Mohagen. Johnson is looking to keep that success going – eventually culminating with a scholarship to an NCAA division I school. “My goal is to get a scholarship,” Johnson explained. “I want to play as hard as I can here, and we’ll see where that takes me. The school route has always been the way for me. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great year!” Welcome to the team, Buddy!

Abgrall Commits To Kings:

The Powell River Kings are thrilled to announce the commitment of 2003-born forward Michael Abgrall for the 2019-2020 season. Abgrall, from Richmond, spent last season playing for Burnaby Winter Club’s Elite-15 program where he recorded 26 goals and 22 assists in 29 games. “Michael’s a really quiet, intelligent hockey player and his game is very similar to his personality.” Said Kings Head Coach and General Manager Tyler Kuntz, “He was a light, young player last year that was able to outsmart his opponents and get the puck back from bigger players by using his brain and his feet. We see him as a high-end, highly skilled player that can really skate.” Last year with the Kings, Abgrall dressed in five games with the team and recorded a pair of assists. “When I played those five games, it was really fun to see the talent along with getting to know all the guys for next year.” Said Abgrall, “Going forward I hope to keep producing like that, especially being a sixteen-year-old it’s going to be hard but I’m confident that I can adjust to the speed and strength of everyone in the league.” During his time at the Burnaby Winter Club, Abgrall gives credit to his coaches for helping him develop both on and off the ice. “The coaching staff there was great.” Said Abgrall, “They did lots of skill development and really pushed you to be your best, not just on the ice but in school as well. I had a great time there.” In February, Abgrall was selected to represent British Columbia at the Canada Winter Games in Red Deer, Alberta. In 7 games, Abgrall finished the tournament with 2 goals and 6 assists while BC finished 7th overall in the tournament. “It was a great experience getting to play against the top players from all over Canada.” Said Abgrall, “It was a tough result for us in the end, but I still had a great time.” When talking about what Abgrall brings to the team, Tyler Kuntz believes the Kings are not only getting a quality player on the ice but one off the ice as well. “You’re getting the whole package with him,” said Kuntz, “he’s received great support from everyone around him, his advisors, his parents and his coaches at Burnaby Winter Club. Maco Balkovec, Josh Bonar and the rest of the coaches there have done a great job with him.” “In my experience, when you’re going to take a sixteen-year-old in junior you have to be 100% sure that he’s going to play with good players.” Said Kuntz when asked about Abgrall making the jump as a sixteen-year-old, “We think he’s not only going to be a good player down the line for us, but he’s going to help us this year. He’ll play with some really good players, and we see him as a guy who’s going to come in and contribute right away and we’re very excited to have him.” Michael will join his new teammates in Powell River for training camp, starting August 19th.

Clippers Extend Naylor's Contract:

The Nanaimo Clippers have announced they’ve inked a long-term deal with head coach Darren Naylor. Darren has been the Head Coach of the Nanaimo Clippers since taking over the position in December 2017 shortly after a change in ownership. Wes Mussio, owner of the Nanaimo Clippers, remarked, “I’m very pleased with the performance of Darren. He and I have the same thought processes when it comes to icing  the best possible team. I wanted to ensure that Darren was locked down for a few more seasons to ensure we have continuity in the team. The guy’s work ethic is off the chart, his ability to recruit is stellar and he manages the bench very well. ” Darren Naylor commented, “I’m happy to commit to a long-term relationship with the Nanaimo Clippers and Wes Mussio, the owner. I see a lot of good things coming down the pipe when it comes to the team. Wes and I are building a strong program with some excellent recruits and I want to be part of what should be a very good organization for many years to come. I’ve enjoyed living in Nanaimo over the last year and half and am happy to call Nanaimo my home.” Naylor alongside his coaching staff get things started on August 19th for the beginning of Main Camp.

Ardanaz Commits To West Kelowna Warriors:

The West Kelowna Junior ‘A’ Hockey Club is pleased to announce the commitment of defenseman Nick Ardanaz(‘02) for the 2019-2020 season. Ardanaz, 16, spent the past four seasons with the Delta Wild Academy of the Canadian Sport School Hockey League. This past season Ardanaz was able to register almost a point per game, making him one of the most sought after defensemen coming into the BCHL. “We are very excited to announce Nick’s commitment to our program”, said Warriors Head Coach and General Manager Brandon West. “Nick is a dynamic playmaking defenseman that plays strong defence as well. He’s been a key factor in the power play at Delta Academy for a few seasons and I look forward to seeing him develop here as a Warrior.” The 5’8 150 pound defender was sought after by a handful or Junior A clubs but ultimately chose the Warriors. “Seeing myself in a Warriors jerseys felt right for my family and I”, stated Ardanaz. “With the coaching, great facilities, location and team history, I felt like it was the most comfortable fit for me to develop as a player and person.” The Langley native recently committed to the University of New Hampshire for 2021-2022. Ardanaz is also thrilled to be playing next to his close friend and former Delta teammate John Evans who is also a recent commit of the Warriors for 2019-2020. “John and I have played with each other for as long as I remember”, stated Ardanaz. “It will be great to play out our first years of junior together on the same team. John’s a great player and a better teammate.” Ardanaz likes to consider himself a two way defender with an offensive touch, “I try to model my game after Torey Krug. You can expect an offensive minded puck moving defender who can play a two way game. I’m not afraid to jump in and create opportunities.” The Warriors would like to welcome Nick and his family to the City of West Kelowna and the Warriors organization.

2019-20 Penticton Vees Spotlight: Conner Hutchison

Returning for his second season in Penticton will be defenseman Conner Hutchison, who got into 22 games during the 2018/19 season before suffering a season-ending injury on November 10th against the Trail Smoke Eaters. It was the first time in his career that Hutchison had to deal with a serious injury, and an injury in general, as the 19-year-old has had a very healthy hockey career before last season’s unfortunate play. “Before that, I’d say I maybe missed four games in my life,” said Hutchison, “I had a couple of minor injuries but never missed any large periods of time but when they told me it might be my ACL last season, it was pretty tough to hear. Once I got the MRI results, I went back home and it was tough but once I had the surgery, I started to rehab that week and just taking it one day at a time after that.” Even with being sidelined for an extended period of time, the Hicksville, New York native thoroughly enjoyed his first season in the South Okanagan, “It was a lot of fun,” mentioned Hutchison, “We had a good group of guys and my billet family was awesome. I loved playing for Coach Harbinson and Coach Becker and the fans were unbelievable; I remember scoring my first goal and it was just nuts, it felt like you were playing in an NHL rink.” Before making his way to the Vees, Hutchison played his U16 and U18 hockey with the Selects Hockey Academy located in South Kent, Connecticut where he spent four seasons while going to school there as well. Hutchison tallied 14 goals and 98 assists for 112 points in 114 games total between the U16 and U18 levels and was a time that the 5’11”, 181-pound rearguard enjoyed, “I knew the head of the Selects Academy and he recruited me from coaching me in some Selects spring tournaments I played in,” stated Hutchison, “The first time I went there, I loved it. It’s like a little community and everyone is family and an awesome place to be.” “It’s pretty cool going to class everyday with your buddies and playing hockey with them as well,” Hutchison continued, “I loved my four years there and it really helped get ready for the next step and ended up winning a National Championship which was amazing and that place just really helped get ready for the next level.” Growing up through high school and his hockey career, there was no shortage of role models to look up to. Both of Conner’s siblings played hockey with his sister Cailey completing four years at the University of Maine while older brother Nick enters his senior season at Canisius College after playing for the Salmon Arm Silverbacks for two seasons. “My brother and I have both been playing hockey our whole lives and he’s a bit older than me so he was always picking on me when we were younger,” said Hutchison, “I think that’s where I get my competitiveness from is when he was always beating up on me.” “He played in both leagues, the USHL for a season and the BCHL for two seasons,” continued Hutchison,” When I was trying to decide which would be the best for me, I reached out to some teams in the BCHL and Penticton was one of the teams that came back and I asked my brother what he thought and he said if you’re going to go anywhere, you’ve got to go to Penticton.” Just over two weeks away from hitting the ice again in Penticton, the University of Vermont commit is excited at returning to see some familiar faces from a season ago, “I’m definitely excited to see all of my buddies returning from last year,” mentioned Hutchison, “It’s a beautiful town with the mountains and lakes surrounding both sides of the city so I’m really looking forward to getting back and seeing that.” “I do miss Salty’s too,” Hutchison continued, “It’s probably my favourite spot to eat while I’m there and honestly, playing home games is what I miss the most. You get to sleep in your bed and wake up and play in front of 3,000 fans a night and it’s just an awesome experience.” Living just over an hour from downtown New York, Hutchison gets the chance every once a while to get to the city but the off seasons mostly involve work, and a lot of it, “It’s not too exciting with having a job and working out as much as possible,” Hutchison said, “The plan is usually working for the day and then skating or working out after but every now and then I like to get to the beach or take the 20 minute train ride into the city."

No comments: