Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Ex Viper Meek Wins Fred Page Cup:

Former Vernon Vipers defenceman Mitch Meek & the Penticton Vees won
the 2017 Fred Page Cup Tuesday in Chilliwack after a 1-0 overtime victory in Game 7 over former Vernon Vipers forward Linden Hora & the Chilliwack Chiefs. This is the Vees fourth League Title in the last ten years. Both Penticton & Chilliwack will now advance to the Western Canada Cup.

Game 7 Highlight's,

Boxscore/Game Summary,

Fraser Rodger's Penticton Vees Blog,

Meek is in his first season with the Vees played parts of one season in Vernon (2014-15) playing in 50 games with the Vipers collecting (6-goals-10-assists-16-points) after coming over in a trade with the Victoria Grizzlies. On October 8th 2014 the Grizzlies traded Brandon Egli, Mitch Meek & Future Considerations to the Vipers for Aydan Macdonald & Jake Emilio. Over the off season the Vipers traded Meek in a three way deal with West Kelowna & Prince George. On July 9th 2015 the Vipers traded Meek to West Kelowna for Mac Ferner before the Warriors traded Meek to Prince George for Luke Harrison.  The Spruce Kings traded Meek to Cowichan on August 12th 2015. In 48 games with the Capitals last year, Meek Collected (5-goals-26-assists-31-points). The Cowichan Capitals traded Meek to the Penticton in a three team trade with Surrey on June 6th 2016.

Mitch Meek's Player Profile:

This is posted on the BCHL website:

BCHL Finals – Game 7 recap

April 25, 2017

The Finals that went the distance went even a bit further Tuesday night with the Penticton Vees winning the BCHL’s Fred Page Cup on an overtime goal from Duncan Campbell – the only goal of the game – in a 1-0 victory over the host Chilliwack Chiefs.

It was the third-consecutive Game 7 win for the Vees in these playoffs.

Both teams were fairly tentative in the opening frame as neither generated many scoring chances and no penalties were called.

The second period was much the same with the only event coming in the form of a Chiefs power play when Penticton’s Gabe Bast was whistled for slashing at 13:02. But Chilliwack was unable to do much with the man advantage and Penticton killed it off without incident.

In the final frame, the Vees posted a 13-7 edge in shots but Chiefs netminder Mark Sinclair continued to have all the answers as he made 32 stops in regulation and was later named 1st Star.

With regulation solving nothing, overtime was needed and at the 9:25 mark, Campbell corralled a
rebound off a point shot by Bast and shovelled it past Sinclair to bring the Vees swarming off the bench.

Vees goalie Mat Robson was sharp when counted on as well making 26 saves for his first shutout of the playoffs. He was named 2nd Star.

Both teams will see their seasons continue starting Saturday at the Western Canada Cup presented by Sun Life Financial. The event runs April 29 to May 7 at South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton.

No comments: