Monday, June 13, 2011

Weinstein The Night Star:

This is posted on the Vipers website:

Weinstein the night star

by Don Klepp | Added 2011-06-06

It’s a good thing for Steve Weinstein that most hockey games are played at night because he’s pretty sleepy until noon most days.

When the games start, though, the LA speedster is 100 percent awake. His darting rushes have delighted Viper fans for three years and have engendered such nicknames as “Wind-em-up-stein” and “Bobby Orr-iental.”

He found it difficult to crack a deep Viper lineup in his first year, especially after the Vipers acquired Cam Brodie and Mike Leidl at the trading deadline, but the coaches and the fans knew it was just a matter of time before Steve would star for the Vipers.

He gave a hint of that future brilliance in his single appearance at the 2009 RBC Cup, when he notched a goal and two assists in a game where a little luck would have given him a hat trick.

In the subsequent two seasons, he has played in 181 straight games, one of the most remarkable runs that any Viper has recorded. His other amazing achievement was playing the entire 2009-10 season with no penalties. As (Coach) Jason Williamson puts it, “He played good defence, anticipated the play well, and took good angles, so it’s not entirely surprising. Still, you have to have a little luck to avoid penalties in 60 straight.”

Steve came to the Vipers with a reputation as an offensive threat. He admits that “I was all offence in Midget, sometimes staying on the ice for a whole period. I have Ferns and Willy to thank for making me a more complete player.”

Indeed, his defensive play has stood out. He added 15 pounds of muscle in the 2010 off-season and did a lot more hitting this year, even though he lost about 10 pounds during the course of the Vipers’ long, demanding season. He attributes his physical play to “a matter of experience and confidence. As a vet, I’ve become wilier. Now I have a better idea of when a hard check is needed and when it’s possible to catch someone.”

“To be honest, as a smaller guy I’ve taken more punishment than I’ve handed out. I learned to be ready for that and to not get discouraged. Both series against Spruce Grove were really physical. I had a bad charley horse for the first few games this April, but it got better.”

Along with Adam Thompson, Steve was given a heavy workload in the playoffs. “At times this year, we were down to five and even four D,” he says, “but I loved the ice time. I like playing in all situations.”

He says his three years as a Viper have developed him as a person: “Willy [Coach Williamson] says that these are the greatest days of your life and that you form the basis for life success at this age. I truly believe that. I’ve become more social and learned a lot from the coaches and the other guys. I have to thank my billets, too. Brian and Brenda DeBoice are just great people.”

For the first two years, he roomed with Cory Kane. This year, another Los Angeles area player, Darren Nowick, joined Steve at the DeBoice residence. “Back when I was nine, Darren and I played on the same team. He’s a good player who’s going to get even better.”

The always affable Steve Weinstein (except for first thing in the morning) is an accomplished mimic who can perfectly imitate his team mates, various BCHL PA announcers, and a wide range of TV and movie characters.

For 2011-12, he has won an athletic scholarship to Bentley University, which is 10 miles west of Boston. He says that “Actually, I am looking forward to the whole college experience, even the part when I have to hit the books. The hockey is another step, but I think my experience in Vernon has prepared to take that next step.”

He asked if he could thank the people of Vernon for all the great memories and the experience he’s gained: “I couldn’t imagine it being any better!”

No comments: