Friday, December 26, 2008

Kane Showing Pro Potential:


This is in todays Morning Star Newspaper:


Kane showing pro potential


By Graeme Corbett - Vernon Morning Star


Published: December 26, 2008 4:00 PM

When Cory Kane walked into the Vernon Vipers’ training camp in September, he found out in a real hurry there was work to be done if he was going to survive the B.C. Hockey League.
The 18-year-old pivot came in 10 pounds heavier than his current 190-pound, mid-season form, and he admitted to being a step behind the action.
Yet, the 6-foot-3 Kane still showed the flashes of brilliance that caused the Vipers to invite him in the first place. He’s got a combination of size, speed and skill that make scouts drool, and his wrist shot has left more than a few BCHL netminders shaking their heads.
The Vipers (26-9-1-2), second in the Interior Conference, visit the first-place Salmon Arm SilverBacks (28-8-1-1) Monday at the Sunwave Centre. They wrap up their four-game holiday series Tuesday night at Wesbild Centre.
“After the first few weeks, I got adjusted to the speed, and my endurance got up there pretty quick after they bag skated us a bit,” grinned the half-Chinese, half-Irish Irvine, Calif. native.
“I basically played half a season last year (with the Boston Junior Bruins of the Empire Junior Hockey League), so I just want to turn things around and try to make a difference in every game. Sometimes it’s not always scoring goals, I just try to do what’s best for the team.”
Midway through the BCHL season, and Kane is second on the Vipers’ goal list with 15-14-29 and 26 penalty minutes in 38 games.
He’s currently playing between wingers John Digness and James Kerr in what has proven to be an effective energy line that can put up some points.
“He’s a really explosive player and he’s very dynamic,” said Digness, of Kane. “He can shoot, pass, he skates really well, and he’s a big physical presence too when he wants to throw the body, so he’s got all the right tools.
“I’m not really a flashy player, I just go straight line. I’m just looking for Kaner for that big shot. I like to play physical and he does too, so it’s nice to get some open space from him as well.”
Kane’s play has caught the attention of Central Scouting, who have given him a C rating, meaning he is tentatively pegged as a mid- to late-round draft pick for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
“I don’t really pay attention to that or go to websites to see what they have written about me,” said the likeable teen. “It’s a good thing to hear that you’re on it, but then again, you gotta keep playing every game or you could get off that list real quick.
“I still feel like I haven’t played the best that I can. I still feel like I’ve got more to show out there. I’m hoping towards the end of the year is when you’ll see me come on full wind.”
“He does some things that you can’t really teach – he’s 6-foot-3, he moves really well,” said Vipers’ assistant coach Jason Williamson. “He’s got that game-breaker skill. He can score some goals that nobody else on the ice can score, and when he’s on his game, he can pretty much take over a game.
“He’s a quiet kid, but he works hard. When he’s on the ice, he lets his game speak for itself. He’s always going pretty much every night.”
Kane credits his older brother Chris for getting him involved in hockey.
Chris was a defenceman with the Des Moines Buccaneers and Sioux City Muskateers of the U.S. Hockey League before taking a NCAA scholarship to Merrimack College in Massachusetts.
“I saw my brother playing a lot, so it was the first thing I wanted to do,” said Kane. “When I was three or four they had me on skates and I went public skating all the time, and before you knew it I was scoring goals as a kid.
“I’ve always been trying to keep up with my brother. He’s been the one to show me what to do and what not to do.”
Kane also appears primed to follow his brother in trying to land a scholarship. In the meantime, he’s just happy to be playing in Vernon.
“I don’t plan on going anywhere else,” smiled Kane.

No comments: